Audio Aero Prima 24/192 Mk II cd player......

I would like to have some opinions on this cd player .....

Your comments are appreciated.

Chris
bluebull

Showing 5 responses by restock

Another vote for the Prima...I have compared the Prima to the Unison Unico CDP, the Linn Genki, Rega Planet and found the Prima to best, smooth with lost of detail, a nice deep soundstage. I have not heard the Ack Dack, but I would certainly not describe the Prima as forward sounding, and I heard the Prima now in three different systems. If something sounds forward I would look elsewhere (single driver speaker with slightly forward sounding amp, like the Abby/Jolida combo I have now). Compared to the above three players the Prima was in fact the lest forward sounding of the bunch. So far I have not heard a single player that portrayed instruments (piano sax) as realistic as the Prima.

I am not sure how the Prima would compare to a Levinson though. One other option you might look into is the APL modified Denon 3910. Howard (Boa2) used to own the Prima, the RA Opus, the Capitole, and the Denon. TOns of comments in the archive as well.

Happy listening,

Rene
The 6021W subminiature tube have a fairly long lifetime (20000 hours). Assuming you leave it on 24 hours 365 day =8760 h, the tubes will last for 2.5 years. At that point you there is no warranty left and you (or a friend) can safely solder new ones into the player yourself. If the player is still under waranty you might want to sent it back to the distributor. In the worst case shipping it to the US distributor and back should not be more than $150 roundtrip, which is still less than what most people spent on tube rolling in three years.

Also one more comment: I have had pretty good experience with the Audio Aero distributor (Globe Audio). I got my Prima as a DEMO from the dealer with a slightly dented cover. Globe Audio send me a new replacement directly from Canada to the US, no shipping charges. Also, they always answered my questions with great detail and promptly. Nice to have someone standing behind the products they sell, which is particularly important with overseas products.

Happy listening.

Rene
O.K. there's one critizism to the Prima that I will even agree on:

The remote has to many buttons that have no function:

Display, CD, Pre/Amp, CD/Pre, Ch up, Ch down, Vol up, Vol down, Phase

;)

Rene
Mechans: Which version of the Prima are we talking about here? From your description (6922 tubes) it seems like your (dead) player was the older MK I version. The newer version uses tiny super tubes, which are soldered in. As far as I know transports for the MK I are difficult to come by; the newer MK II has as far as I know a different transport which may or may not be replaceable at this time.

Also, there is supposedly a big difference in sound between MK I and MK I according to the Soundstage reviews.

Rene
While the Prima MK I CDP did have an analog volume control, the Prima CDP MK II did NOT have a digital or analog volume control. I am not sure about the newer MK III (?) version of the CDP with the new faceplate.

The Prima MKII DAC does have volume control.