Audio Aero CDP tube replacement: 6021 v/s 6n16b

During my recent trip to France, I met with an electronic engineer who previously worked for Audio Aero factory (France) and told me of a substantial improvement in musicality and overall sound quality of the Audio Aero CD players if the stock 6021W tubes (cryo or not) are replaced by the russian 6N16B tubes (selling for about $1,50 ea. on Ebay from Russia).

I did some research and came across several DIYers from Europe who have tried this route and confirmed that the 6N16B tubes take the Audio Aero players to another level.

Continuing my research, i recently came across a well respected french DIY website (in French language) - hosted and managed by tube researchers & professionals in France and a forum specifically on tube replacement in Audio Aero players.

It appears that those who have replaced the 6021 by 6n16b swear there is no contest: the russian tubes make the player a much better animal. The site is:

http://www.elektor.fr/forum/forum/publications-d-elektor/tubes-audio/remplacement-mini-tubes-6021.2286101.lynkx?pageStart=1#2497327

There is one caveat though (detailed out in the above thread): the 8 filaments of the 6n16b have to be soldered differently from the way the 6021 are soldered - the latter requires that the filaments be soldered consecutively in an orderly manner (i.e. filament 1 of tube 6021 on position 1 on circuit board, filament 2 on position 2, and so on in a regular pattern clockwise or anticlockwise etc..) , while the russian tube requires that some filaments be soldered in a disorderly sequence - some filaments having to cross others (and therefore require isolation).

I went on Lampizator website and found that Lukas has only praises for these little russian tubes and as he states in his own words: "One of the best sounding tubes of all time. The ubertube". The link is http://lampizator.eu/shop/viewitem.php?productid=51

Lukas uses them in many of his products (DAC, preamp etc.)

Convinced by these testimonies, I have just ordered eight 6n16b tubes from Russia for my AA cd player and am awaiting delivery. Have also bought some JAN 6021W Phillips just in case..

Anyone tried the replacement? Your experience, findings and particularly the complexity of soldering the 6n16b on the circuit board would be much appreciated.

Thank you
lall

Showing 2 responses by gwalt

AA was just bought out by Vermeer Audio of France. CDP's are no longer made from the website but they have taken the circuit of the Lafontaine and LaSource and supposedly improved the power supplies on the offered DAC/SERVERS. An upgrade will be offered to all of those owning the latest players mentioned above. I am not sure about Capitoles/Prestiges. I was lucky enough to buy a used Lafontaine with Esoteric transport and it is wonderful....the best I have ever heard in my system.
I was able to hear it compared to a Lampizator Big 7 with 45 tubes last weekend and I thought the AA was better although be it with a different PC and cables so not exactly a true comparison.
I own some 6021W's as GE 5 Stars, Sylvania Gold Plate, Jan's, Thomsen France (Made in France), Heintz & Kaufmans. I don't have the guts to try other tubes at this point outside the circuit design.
Issues can be resolved by Sedonix in Sedona, AZ. Speak to Greg as he said he can source parts from France. He has not worked on any of the later players thank god for that. The latest players are truly source winning wonders and appear to be much better in build quality coming from an owner of past Capitole/Prestige owner history background. One caveat, I doubt there is many of them out there.