Audible Illusions M--Are you using built-in phono or external phono preamp?

Hello, 

re: Audible Illusions M3B...I feel the built-in phono input is not as dynamic as the other line stages, CD,DAT,etc.

The volume is much lower but more importantly the dynamics are reduced and do not improve with an increase of volume. Yes it gets louder but it's missing something.

I am using a mid-priced Pro-ject TT with Sumiko Bluepoint 2 MC cartridge, 2.5mV. 

Although not the best stuff ,i still feel a a little disappointed. Would an external phono preamp resolve this issue?

Or i am expecting too much from vinyl?

thanks guys

mike

ps: this preamp otherwise is spectacular!!!!!

128x128mikepaul
I have a 3a with mm section. My AcousTech ph1 premium, with op amp upgrades blows it away. However, since I run LOMC's I really have no use for the mm section in the 3a. When I have run HOMC, my AcouSTech still out performs it. 

That at being said, it is not bad and will respond to tube choice. I do find it a bit lifeless and lacking a bit but it will do when matched with a good cartridge. Further, I can't say I'm a fan of the BPS. To me they lack any organic timbre and bit hard and grainy. I owned one a sold it.
The John Curl phono stage in the AI Modulus is perhaps the best I’ve ever heard. I agree, this is why you buy the preamp. The phono section is freaking awesome.

Lance
I've heard that preamp with a VPI Prime front end and you'd need a very serious CDP to come anywhere close to that sound. Your turntable (or cartridge) is the bottleneck.