Audible Illusions L-1 vs. Marsh P2000T preamps?

HI. I have about $800 to spend on a good used preamp. I would like to have a nice tube preamp that is still detailed and not too "molasses-like". 2 items I am looking at are the Audible Illusions L-1 and Marsh P2000T. I have used cheaper SS preamps in my system, and I like the detail, but not the grain. The highs of some tubes I have heard are quite desirable as well. I am pairing it with a somewhat warm SS amp and "musical" speakers (Von Schweikert VR-2).

The Audible Illusions L-1 is a pure tube preamp, while the Marsh is a hybrid. I have heard that the L-1 is the same unit as the 3A without the phono stage (which I don't need). The Marsh, while I haven't been able to get too much info on it, seems to be very well recieved by those who have heard it.

Any opinions on either of these two units?
chiho

Showing 1 response by theduke

In response to Bigtee's proven expertise in AI pre-amps, let me opine that, to my ears, the best input on the L1 is to use the tape input for your most favored line source.

Also, a belated thanks to Bigtee for informing me where the dip switches were on my L1. Thanks!