Auctions - why bid early?

It seems to me that bidding anytime before the very end of a timed auction merely raises the final price. Fun aside, if winning the unit up for bid is the goal, can anyone offer a practical reason to bid early?
rockvirgo

Showing 3 responses by angela100

The times that I will bid early is only to clear out the non serious bidders - I want to get it over a certain amount to test the waters and see who stays in the game. Kinda like poker, I guess, huh?
I then sit back and wait. I usually will not enter my final bid until the end and hope my proxy kicks butt. I have been beat too many time when bidding too early.

megasam, why would red flags go up? I have relisted items when my reserve price was not met. Is that what you mean?

-aj
Jeff, I envy you.... I was trying that for about 2 months on a Marantz tuner and always got outbid.... I didn't want to pay too much, you know how the range can vary hundreds of dollars. Finally, I did what you said and bid a fair, but high proxy (I watched recent auctions end to see what going price was) and I just said, I want it,dammit, and if this is what it takes, then okokok already, UNCLE, I'll bid it :) and guess what? I got the tuner (McIntosh mr71) for WAY less than I hoped and my proxy was was fair, but DOUBLE what I ended up paying for it.
I agree with AudioBob, you just never know - I think that is part of the attraction and the game.
Megasam, that practice is illegal and anyone caught doing that will be banned from eBay.
I recently had a friend that someone bid on their auction and won and then started the sob story about no money and could he wait a week or two, then the guy had the bal... er I mean NERVE to copy the guy's auction and put the item up for bid when he didn't take possession yet. too much, he got burned and banned... You just have to be careful. I agree that I feel much safer buying and selling here
-aj
off to enjoy her Sunday :)