Attention Scientists, Engineers and Na-s

Isn't it funny how timing works. With all the different discussions on proving this, show me fact on that and the psycho acoustical potential of the other thing an article comes along with the same topics and some REAL potential answers. I received my newest copy of "The Audiophile Voice" Vol.7, Issue1 today and on page 16 is an article written by David Blair and Bill Eisen titled "In The Matter Of Noise". The article focuses on disturbance noise but has some reference to thermal noise, low frequency noise and shot noise, and our ability to measure these noises with the equipment of today. We have measured noise as low as 6x10 to the power of -5, or approximately a few cycles per day. We have also found through laboratory testing that the human brain is stimulated with frequencies from just above 0Hz to just below 50kHz. U.S. Department of Defense documents also show studies of low frequency activity below measurable levels and there various affects.
The article then begins to talk about out of band (hearing) noise and in band noise produced by our electronic equipment and the potential of these noises effecting our sound system. The assumptions are that "disturbance noises rob our systems of dynamics, low-level information, tonal purity and stage depth". These effects are for the most part overlooked and misunderstood by the scientific communities. They say they think that our speakers being hit with "massive quantities of R.F.I. are affected" A very good quote referring to power filters was "Effective noise control imposes no sonic tradeoffs or downside." How often have the discussions here on Audiogon focused on what they are doing? A very interesting comment was that Teflon is capable of carrying 40-Kilovolts static charge, and the industry is touting this as a great insulator for audio signals, that's scarey!
Now I bring this to light because I believe the view of the "Scientists and Engineers" here on Audiogon is so narrow that they are failing to see the exciting challenges in front of them. If all these noises do exist, which they do, and they can be transmitted and received through our systems, isn't possible, just maybe feasible that the insulation of our wires, the casing of our dedicated lines the size and shape of the conductor could, just maybe effect the sound? Isn't it even possible that forces set off by electrical components could be interfering in some so far unmeasured and inaudible way affecting the sound. Do you all test within the full spectrum of 0Hz to 50Khz for every possible situation? Or is it possible, just ever so small of a chance that you are overlooking a whole new science yet unexplored. Doesn't that, even slightly excite your little scientific fossils?
Man if I was younger, healthier and wanted a challenge. This is a career if you'd just climb out from behind you oscilloscopes and spectrum analyzer and see the world is indeed still spinning, and yes, it is 2001. Remember how 30 years ago 2001 was going to be so exciting. What the hell have the Scientist, Engineers and Na-sayers who tote there stuff here on Audiogon done for the advancement of science. Anyone, have any of you really broken through! J.D.
128x128jadem6
Thank-you Jerie, and might I add that the products I've owned with separate power supplies all have had very different umbilical cord designs. Some extremely stuff and well insulated and others tightly wrapped. Every one has discussion in there manuals about these umbilical cords and there specific design criteria. (more of the great conspiracy I guess) Why don't manufacturers use high end cords out of the factory? Some do. Why don't all manufacturers us the best capacitors, transformers, etc. and why do some offer upgraded power supplies? I think the answer is a far away as the auto industry. Why don't all high performance sports cars come out with Shelby specs. or what ever. The after market in auto is huge! Does that make it snake oil too? (Oh by the way, Kennedy is not living on an island with Jim Morrison, that was just a theory)
Jadem6, I do not agree with "Why don't all high performance sports cars come out with Shelby specs. or what ever. The after market in auto is huge! Does that make it snake oil too?"
If you buy a Porsche or "hi end" auto (not mass market Ford) then the tires ARE specific to that car and HIGHLY recommended for the handling of the auto. Porsche and others do not sell you a very expensive car and then provide it with $50 tires... it KILLS the whole intent of the purchase (handling) and the car would not be worth it. If you went to a Porsche dealer and he said "if you buy this car for $100k and then Tweek it with new $1k tires, it will NOW handle the way it was meant to...I would call that snake oil! Are you telling me that in Hifi, I can expect to purchase a $20k amp that doesn't sound very good UNTIL I add a new Superduper power cable. So again, I ask why don't all "Hi Fi" companies provide a power cable that takes full advantage of there product....or maybe they already do!
Garfish: Why do you say I don't trust my senses? That's either an irrational assumption or a deliberate distortion of what I've ben saying. I've been saying that you should use your ears, but in a way that eliminates prejudices and biases, however subconscious they are, so that you judge solely on what is audible.

If that makes me a "non-believer," I'll accept that label.
Detlof: And I'm saying there are ways to find out if something really is "there" or not.

I'm out to enjoy music and audio, too, but it doesn't mean I want to waste lots of money on something that doesn't add anything.
Philiphans: If it gives you great pleasure to buy exotic cables, go ahead. It's a free country, free markets, etc. I prefer to spend money on what I have a reasonable expectation would add performance and am therefore skeptical of spectacular claims that have no technical, scientific, common-sense backup. Or even any empirical data to back up the claims.

Show me a system that sounds superb with exotic cabling (PCs, ICs, speaker wire), and I'm certain that I or anyone else can make it sound equally superb with stock and low-cost cabling.

And with the money saved I can go to concerts, buy CDs, buy an occasional new musical instrument, etc. And go skiing, travelling, etc.

You're right that you don't need to know the technical aspects of audio to enjoy it at least up to a certain level, but I've found that studying and working with and developing audio technology over the past 20+ years has helped me enjoy it more, and given me a very enjoyable career at the same time. Your mileage may vary.