Atma-Sphere with Gilmore on HE 2004

Have anybody heard Atma Sphere Music Amplifier MA-2 Mk. II.3 with some Gilmore speakers on HE 2004 NY ?
I have heard, read a lot about those output transformless tube amps, I was expecting audio nirvana, my expectation was very high, but what I heard was week non-dynamic, non-involving sound. Yes there was a lot of details nice soundstage, but still sound was lifeless. Was it speakers, or this transformless amps sound this way ?

I was mighty impress with transformfull :) Manley or VTL or even more with VAC Phi. I even went back after few hours one more time to Atma+Gilmore room unfortunately the some bad impression. Was it bad combination?
Does Berning's sound the some way ?
sorlowski

Showing 1 response by hbrandt

I was at HE 2004 and I would not base ANY buying decisions on show sound. The rooms are just not optimized for any reasonable evaluation. One of my favorite speakers (Vandersteen 5a's) sounded absolutely dreadful...for the first time ever. I'm running my electrostats with Innersound Monoblocks. One of the few amps that, in my view, sound great with stats is the Atma-Sphere. If you have a line on a decent pair...I wouldn't hesitate.

harry