Atma-Sphere Class D… Amazing

Today I picked up my Atma-Sphere Class D Amps. These aren’t broken in yet. And they are simply amazing. I’ve listen to a lot of High End Class D. Some that cost many times what Atma-Sphere Class D costs. I wasn’t a fan of any of them. But these amps are amazing. I really expected to hate them. So my expectations were low. The Details are of what I’ve never heard from any other amps. They are extremely neutral. To say the realism is is extremely good is a gross understatement. They are so transparent it’s scary. These amps just grab you and suck you into the music. After I live with them some and get them broken in. And do some comparisons to some other high end Amps Solid State, Tubes and Class D’s, also in other systems I’ll do a more comprehensive review. But for now, these are simply amazing amps.. Congrats to Ralph and his team. You guys nailed on these.

128x128pstores

@tinear123

I just cannot understand why stating your position and one possible retort with civility is not possible by some. You may be having fun being the bully of the playground, and smarter than everyone else, and while you may think you are teaching others, you are in fact disenfranchising those that are starting their audio journey and corrupting the social space this platform can enable and frankly killing the hobby.

Nice summation and sign off. Continue to enjoy the Atma-Sphere and Frankenstein amplifiers.

Charles

Name calling when one doesn't agree with an idea or opinion is in fact the immature behavior being complained about.

I did not call out to anyone. Wonder why you were the only one to respond. Take it easy and make positive contributions, if possible.

@tinear123  Don’t give up now!  It is pretty easy to just ignore and not respond when there is no value to the posts. There are plenty of folks left who would value your perspectives.

Testing has indicated correlations between certain distortion spectra and "averaged" or group perceptions but there has been no perfect correlation established between measurements and human response on an individual basis because at the end of the day, you just can’t account for taste.

@kuribo

There are the rules of human hearing perception (such as Fletcher Munson or the masking principle) and there is taste. They are two very different things and the two get conflated quite often! All humans use the same hearing perceptual rules- otherwise audio as an art would be impossible. What people do with that is different, which is why there is disco, rap, classical, tone controls and the like. Human physiology responds the same way to distortion, so it is something that is predictable and reliable within certain limits (there is individual variance on how the 3rd is perceived, depending on its phase for example).

I wasn’t aware that class D amplification was doable without the utilization of negative feedback

@charles1dad It is. Our first prototypes were all zero feedback and demonstrated to us that the idea of class D was worth pursuit. You also don’t need opamps- again we drove early prototypes directly using our preamps, which have no trouble driving lower impedances like 2000 Ohms. These prototypes didn’t use any opamps.

You can’t seem to get beyond the simple truth that your experienced subjective reality and beliefs are nothing but opinions and are no more valid than anyone else’s. The guru complex.

+1 AGS, Audiophile Guru Syndrome, is an ugly thing :)

His high feedback Op-amps amplifier versus a near polar /opposite approach is something that I find compelling with regard to respective sonic presentation. All that concerns me with audio products is how do they sound? That’s why we buy them.

The reason for both approaches is the same. IMO/IME the amp must not have any increase in distortion as the test frequency is increased. Most amps using feedback suffer this problem- and they sound brighter and harsher than they should partially on that account. In a tube amp, getting it to run enough feedback to get around this problem is impossible regardless of the topology. This is because they lack the Gain Bandwidth Product to support the feedback at higher frequencies- as you increase frequency, the amp requires a lot of GBP; if its not there the feedback will fall off, causing distortion to rise. We avoided that in our OTLs by running them zero feedback.

This is a problem in solid state too- and is part of why traditional solid state amps are known to sound bright and harsh (especially at higher volume). Class D offers a way around this because you can get the loop gain you need to really support a high GBP value- and thus also support high feedback at all audio frequencies.

The reason feedback can be problematic is that the feedback node always has a non-linearity associated with it. This might be the base of a transistor, or the cathode of a tube; whatever it is means the feedback signal is distorted by that non-linearity and so when mixed with the incoming signal doesn’t quite do what its supposed to do (one effect of this is additional distortion is created...). But if you run enough feedback you start to get around this problem. That needs to be at a minimum 30dB and must be 30dB at all audio frequencies. We’re at about 37dB.

Probably more information than you were expecting, and actually IMO this explanation is really the nutshell version so those of you technically-minded I am aware this explanation is incomplete.

If the desire is for more emotion ,soul, humanity, breathe of life type of sound, a high quality SET or OTL is very difficult to match. It just always depends on what you want. Other topologies will excel in other specific sonic parameters/areas.

I think one of the issues you run into when making this comparison is that the zero feedback tube amps (whether SET or OTL) will have a frequency response variation depending on the load impedance (the speaker). I’ve found that anyone using such equipment, including myself, has made accommodations for that issue if they have spent any time trying to make their system sound neutral and musical at the same time. In my case this is mostly to do with the level settings for the drivers, found on the rear of my speakers. I use pink noise to set them up correctly. Whatever those accommodations are though, you have to back them out of your system if you really want to do a proper comparison, which is probably tricky. This is just a personal observation, but once I corrected my system for the voltage response of the class D I found it every bit as involving.

I would like to hear the designer’s take on how his class d design differs from those of Hypex and Purifi and at 3 to 4 times the price, what they offer over the Hypex and Purifi products that makes them worth the considerable difference. I would like to know why he decided to design his own class d modules, especially in light of the fact that it is no trivial matter and a completely different task than designing a tube amp....I would like to know why the designer choose GaNfets over standard fets and what advantages he believes they offer at his operating frequency over standard fets....

We chose to design our own module because it sends the wrong message to the marketplace by using someone else’s- it suggests that maybe you don’t don’t have the engineering talent in-house. Plus we can make it the way we want to. FWIW our modules seem to be lower noise than Bruno’s.

The reason we’ve not used SMPSs yet is we found that if you really want the amp to perform properly, especially at high volume, the SMPS really needs to be designed specifically for the application. Most of our prototypes ran SMPSs and we ran into this limitation quite frequently.

A good portion of our cost is the chassis, which is custom-built and designed to look decent, not man-cave and also be durable in shipment. It seems its a bit over-built! For the last 40 years we’ve gotten dinged on cosmetics a lot; you put in the cosmetics and then you get dinged on price...

GaNFETs are a little faster, but the main reason for using them is to create a lower noise layout due to less strays and lower drive requirements which are for the most part an order of magnitude lower than MOSFETs. In this regard the noise our amps put out on the AC line is lower than many tube amps and most of that comes from the power rectifiers rather than anything to do with the module.