ATC ACTIVE VS PASSIVE

i am trying out the little ATC SCM 11 with my Pass Labs Xa 100.8 .sounds wonderful.  Cannot get any other ATC speaker for demo.
wonder whether bigger ATC with my Pass Labs would sound better than ATC active as my amp is really very special
128x128alfa100

Showing 1 response by sm2727

I am a Pass Labs lifetime customer, but I too was enticed by the active atc story.  the amps are a-b not class a like pass so not as liquid sounding.
I had the 15" actiive three ways (5 years ago or so).  it was impressive in many ways but the integration of the drivers just seemed off a bit.  Maybe the newer ones are better.  I bought mine used and sold them in 6 months for what I paid for them so it was a nice adventure.  I would have to say that looking at the amps ( I took them apart) i wasn't impressed by the build quality.  Just the clutter, soldering wires etc. struck me as a bit dated.  I went back to Pass and passive speakers. Pass is known for really clean designs so maybe I am spoiiled.  But the active thing makes a hell of a lot of sense.  Even Nelson Pass made a big active speaker.......few bought it though...........