AT440mla, ortofon 2m red, or JICO SAS tip for mx97

Due to an unfortunate cleaning accident, my cantilever on my Shure mx97e was bent beyond repair. Now I am in a dilemma. I have a Fisher MT-6330 turntable Low Fi I know but I have made enhancements. It's a direct drive unit but has a unique 120 pole motor and a repectable 1kg platter. speed is DEAD ON. I have assembled a Janus mat (dynamat and cork); a 680 gram record weight (custom machined with 45 rpm adapter) and choice plinth mods to quiet it down It is well leveled Was aligned to perfection with a protractor from vinylengine; and overall sounded way beyond my expectations
It is christmas time and I am torn between 3 choices I can score a new model AT440mla for 99.00 or ortofon 2m red or 129 for the JICO SAS Stylus

HELP!!!
bc5k

Showing 5 responses by vinyladdict

No question - I'd go for the M97xE with the SAS. It's the most even-handed and best performing of the bunch... and not by a small margin. I'm not a huge fan of the stock M97xE, although I think it's very good for the money - but no more. The SAS elevates it a shocking amount.
I've bought all my SAS styli direct from Jico, http://stylus.export-japan.com/

They ship quickly and have been great to deal with. I won't deal with LP Gear due to some prior problems I've had with them.

I use Baerwald whenever possible, Stevenson otherwise.
Viridian has expressed his dislike for the Jico on other forums and I totally respect that. It's worth noting, however, that a vast majority (in fact, I'd say he's the only one to the contrary) have noted significant improvement with the Jico SAS styli.

The Fisher MT-6330 appears to be fairly flexible in looking at pics online, you should be fine.

Look forward to hearing your impressions. FYI - Jico always shows the SAS backordered but they've always shipped within a week with all my orders.
Interesting. In that thread you even go so far as point out that, "71.4% is not 'near 80%'"; yet seemingly 71.4% is now 50%!

I have no problem with you not liking the stylus. I understand how some might prefer the smoother more laid back nature of the original. However, it takes all of 10 minutes of searching to indeed determine that there's no question that a vast majority do find the SAS an improvement, with the exception of the brush, over the original.
I'm so happy for you, Ben. (... told ya you would love it!)

Have a great holiday spinning records!