AT440mla, ortofon 2m red, or JICO SAS tip for mx97

Due to an unfortunate cleaning accident, my cantilever on my Shure mx97e was bent beyond repair. Now I am in a dilemma. I have a Fisher MT-6330 turntable Low Fi I know but I have made enhancements. It's a direct drive unit but has a unique 120 pole motor and a repectable 1kg platter. speed is DEAD ON. I have assembled a Janus mat (dynamat and cork); a 680 gram record weight (custom machined with 45 rpm adapter) and choice plinth mods to quiet it down It is well leveled Was aligned to perfection with a protractor from vinylengine; and overall sounded way beyond my expectations
It is christmas time and I am torn between 3 choices I can score a new model AT440mla for 99.00 or ortofon 2m red or 129 for the JICO SAS Stylus

HELP!!!
bc5k

Showing 11 responses by bc5k

thanks, I appreciate the nod.. i find that even with my modest setup the mx97e has surprised me over the budget AT it came with... I was on the fence after much reviews... Seemed like it was AT 440mla is noisy on older records, ortofon 2m red is good but it elliptical and I think I'm ready for the next step... I found it at LP Gear for 129.00 is that going to be my best deal? And as far as alignment goes; Would you suggest a loefgren, baerwald, or stevenson alignment? I found the baerwald most pleasing with the elliptical diamond. However the shape of the SAS has me asking questions. I am not exactly a newb but I find myself only setting up my mediocre tables correctly now... i have found that properly alignment is key to the vinyl magic, though. Thanks for the insight...

Ben
So I am going with the SAS... I'm gonna roll the dice with LPGear since JICO in japan is all backordered... Hopefully will be here in time for christmas break so that I can break in before I go back to work. I will use my handy protractor to get the baerwald alignment all dialed in. I have some old vinyl and some new. Some horrific pressings, some 180 gram, and some hot stampers. I will report back my findings over the stock stylus for all to read. I am starting to understand why people have multiple headshells and multiple tonearms.. It's like having multiple monitors on a computer... I will also transcribe some of the vinyl I had already done with the elliptical stylus to forensically analyze them. Thanks for all the insight...

Ben
I had my vta set with some custom machined shims for the headshell with the old stylus... (nice to have a friend who owns a machine shop) I realigned it when my custom made janus mat replaced the stock mat on the table. If realignment is needed i can get more shims made. This is as far as i can go with my current setup to get precise VTA adjustments... I will say the thin shims did make a lot of difference with the old stylus and that I should be shot for damaging it. However, I will take this into consideration and pay close attention to detail when doing so.
Much appreciated... I know my low budget setup is no LINN or even a technics 1200 for that fact... But I have had good luck out of the fisher through more manual means... And best of all the price was right---FREE LOL... Beats my old technics sl-bd22 p mounter with a grado blue hands down... I am still looking forward to my stylus and I am pretty sure I will have good results even if the setup is a bit fiddly... Thanks for the vote of confidence Vinyladdict.
Well I made my choice... Haven't received it yet though... But for all interested: Here is a link to the AT440mla that I didn't buy and it is a steal at 99.88

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009MK3A/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d4_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=11A3JS4WHFHSJBRW7J3V&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846
Ok well I received it today... So here we go... Setup was not as fiddly as anticipated. There are some things of note however. It is like others have stated... A little shaky until break in.. Or at least I assume... I have compensated with the anti skate and a little tracking force (hopefully will speed up cantilever break in) Stylus overhang is radically different though; had to scoot the cartridge way up; but no big deal I got new headshell wires anyway. Even without being broke in; OMG!!! It is actually quieter than the stock stylus. I will posst more after break in.. but will have no trouble putting 50 hours on this quickly

Thanks
Ben
About 8 hours in and i will tell you... I can't stop listening. The cantilever looks like a fine thread compared to the original. And the sound... omg the sound... FULL bodied bass, crystalline highs, warmth exploding. It is super quiet too. I thought the shure stylus was for sure more forgiving... WRONG!!! I may never stop listening... I gave up watching TV tonight for it.
I am pretty sure my stylus is almost ran in... Been about 40 hours... I have officially ditched my audiosource eq 8 out of my signal path. I thought before that I needed it... And to a point I did... This stylus has raised the output of the cartridge to almost DOUBLE. No joke. The spectrum analyzer is now at the same level as my CD's whereas before it was about half. The pure audio button on my onkyo is engaged and no tone controls are needed... My recommendation, buy the stylus. No matter what table you own. Calibrate it correctly and your shure mx97e will reward you as never before. A side by side comparison of vinyl transcriptions tells ALL. I compared them with a buddy who has a project iii and a properly setup bluepoint no. 2 and i will say i actually prefer the sound of 3 out 4 identical pressings on my setup. He could not believe it. We compared transcriptions before and I was disappointed in my prior setup. His were so much more musical and open. Now he is actually entertaining the idea of the shure with the JICO. Happy Holiday and joyous listening and thanks for all the sound advice.

Ben
It is with mixed feelings that I announce that I am shelving my Fisher MT 6330... Okay it's not with mixed feelings... I confess... I am acquiring a late model Technics SL-1200 for a mere 200 bucks and am preparing to put it through a full on treatment of KAB upgrades. Well not entirely KAB... I plan on sourcing most of it from sound hi fi... Their power supply has lured me in.

Here are my plans:
I plan on rewiring the stock tone arm with the KAB cardas wiring the 1200 tonearm with cardas wiring sourced from KAB

I am fitting an archomat to the technics platter

I plan on doing a bearing upgrade to the soundhifi.com bearing

And adding sorbothane feet to the rig

I plan also on doing the soundhifi ps upgrade and strobe disable

I will keep my venerable m97xe SAS frankenstein. If money permits i may do a tonearm upgrade to either a jelco SA-750D or possibly an SME M2-9. I see no reason to discard my record weight as it is a fine custom piece. The wife gets the fisher with a re purposed grado blue.

Question is... KAB fluid damper on the stock arm? Or the SME piece? I plan on sticking with the cart i have now.. I know the stock arm has very easy VTA adjustment.
well the rig is setup... Audio bliss.. :D Now to get motivated on the table upgrades.