At $5,000.....any thoughts?

This system needed to be new components only. Speakers will be located fairly close to walls....one the reasons I went with a sealed design. Also, at $5,000...trade off here and there, was a factor.

This system is for my wifes Doctor (female), my wife got me in to this little project. It's going in a med sized area....finished basement.

1. Sanyo PLV-Z5 projector

2. Carada 110" screen

3. Onkyo TX-SR805 7.1 receiver

4. OPPO DV-970HD DVD player

5. NHT Classic 3.... front speakers

6. NHT Classic 2....rear speakers

7. SHU Research VTF-2 MK-3 subwoofer

8 Energy 25" stands for front and rears.

Cables are not in budget, but will be budget brands. HD-DVD player will follow....at some point?

Dave
sogood51

Showing 13 responses by sogood51

Kthomas

Typo on the Oppo, it should have read DV-980HD (this is a new Oppo model). HD-DVD can be added at any time...I would have went with it now, if it were my system...not a problem though (the Onkyo has three HDMI inputs). I went with another Classic 3 for center channel (I would have liked to use the Classic 3 as rears also (darn budget). $5,000 went puff!

Drjoe

Yes, I'll do the install for the projector (ceiling mount), and screen (fixed wall mount)...I got a free projector mount in the projector package. I'll also do the audio...pretty simple for an old wire slinger.

Shadorne

Thanks, doing this (a budget system) for someone else, with little or no input was tricky...more so than I'd have guessed. Trying to cover so many bases, without taking a huge quality hit somewhere turned into quite a fun game. I did come up with a good number of options at each component spot...these final choices won out though, as what I guessed this person would want in a system, and what I know will sound and look good in their room.

This system was ordered on line, with discounts. I needed to make sure all merchants had top quality feedback...in all areas, in case of component problems...or just general return....lots of research here.

Dave
Drjoe

Ya....no grief needed. They are not friends, I've never met them before this, (my wifes Doctor)...not mine. I'm going to tell her that if she is not happy...take it out on my wife! (it was her idea anyway).

I'm not a dealer....just a nice old vintage person.

Dave
Drjoe

I was just kidding about the wife....I think the DOC will be "MORE" than happy.

She is already happy about the price, the picture and sound will put her over the top!

Audioadvisor, Circut City, Hsu Research, ect...all easy for her to deal with, save your boxes....not my problem, (already pointed that out).

BTW...she doesn't treat my wife for free, my time is money to....she agrees.

Dave
Jdodmead

Thanks Jeff, It's a pretty simple system....I'm sure it will go fine. I've done a few before.

Dave
Mounted the projector yesterday, did a ruff audio setup (HSU sub, and some of the wires aren't in yet).

Good enough to enjoy a few movies, until the final tweaking... They are "MORE" than happy!

Dave
Flrnlamb

Thanks for the interesting....and long reply, I'll try to respond:

The room is drywall, including ceiling (14'x 25'x 8.5'). Screen viewing distance is around 17' with flexibility here...also, flexibility on screen size. The screen has not been ordered.

Acoustics, system setup....I'm hardly a newbee, I've been at this for over 35 years. That said, this lower price level is not an area I've visited for a long while...a $5,000 budget, including projector and screen, does require a good amount of thought and research.

The Onkyo: This Onkyo has a good power supply (more than enough for these speakers)...THX Ultra2 certification, Audyssey room correction, the very latest HDMI specs, Yada, yada, yada....a more advanced generation of receiver than most of the others you mentioned....in other words, most of them have some catching up to do.....I've also been impressed with past Onkyo receivers I've setup, used, and owned.

The Denon, I like Denon products, but....over priced in this system...plus, no real gain to be had for the extra $$$ spent. The Yamaha, I don't like the Yamaha thin "house sound". The Outlaw, it is under spec's for this system. The Arcam, it's a budget buster, behind the curve, underpowered. The Harmon Kardon, it's overpriced, "way" behind the curve, underpowered...ugly.

The speakers: Tuff one...no mention of music came up, I took care of that anyway, IMHO. This new OPPO even passes DVD-Audio and SACD through it's HDMI output (or, at least they say it does)....something fairly rare?

Subwoofer: HSU...very good at this price point, there were others that may have been just as good.

DVD player: As I mentioned above...HD-DVD would have been "my" first choice....not a big deal anyway IMO, they are "good to go".... when ever they are ready, (they won't need me for this)...the Onkyo has three HDMI inputs.

In the end, changes could be made at little cost to the buyer (I'm sure I missed something)....the reason for my post.

The good Doctor: I see no reason to rob her pocket book, I've done my "people scan" on her, (and her husband)...they pass in every way....a fair days pay will be plenty.

Dave
Flrnlamb

Thats funny!

I was in sales (1971/1972). Made good money...understood it, understand it....hated it!

But then, I hate doing anything thats not fun...turns into work. When I had a chance to retire at age 51, (6 years ago)....I did.

Now...If I could just afford a bigger trailer. I have to move my Apogees every time I drop the Murphy bed.

Dave
Jdodmead

I'm pretty sorry with a camera, but I'll see what I can do...I do have a digital camera. The rest of the cables and sub should be in by the end of this week. I'm sure I can get some pic's...but, I'm not sure sure how to take a picture of the picture?...I've tried before at my house... with no luck?

Dave
Flrnlamb

The intent of the thread was general, I had $5,000 to spend on a projector, fixed wall screen, dvd player, receiver, 5 speakers, speaker stands, subwoofer....wires not included.

The components listed were my picks...thus...the "any thoughts" part of my thread. Nothing was bought, or on order at that point.

I was also fishing for any components (before the buy) that may have slipped under my radar...no one mentioned any.

You did offer some "very general" thoughts, (other receiver brand names mostly?...anything but Onkyo?). I had already looked at those brands, and (did post) a "very general" reply to you as to why I passed them by, in this system. You also asked for exact "room size"...I gave you a reply that replaced... "med. sized area". I should have placed that info in the post and not "med side".

Component and speaker setup...I didn't need, or ask for help in that area for two reasons. 1. I've been at this a very long time, and this is a very simple system. 2. No one can setup a system from a far...not even me :)

("System picked out...system purchased...system installed...
= no more need for this thread")
Flrnlamb (Threads | Answers)

That was the intent of my follow up...good eye!

Dave
Cytocycle

Thanks, very good idea. The HSU subwoofer is in....I'll be going back for the audio setup this weekend...I'll mention that idea. I will need to return for screen install, as soon as they decide on screen size, I could do the remote at that time if they like.

Dave
Flrnlamb said:
"You know, now that I think about it - looking at your choices, I think you might consider some B&W 602's all around, a Velodyne sub, a good Blueray/HD dvd combi player, and a good Denon Receiver. I think the Doc would go for this line of gear"

Well,

To late for the good DOC, maybe one of her friends? She did mention (to my wife) that a couple of her friends would like to talk to me... If I don't mind.

BTW...whats the cost of your system?, under $5,000? You forgot the projector and screen?....can't have a home theater with out those figured in?

Dave