At $2K for a new SACD player is the XA-777ES....

still the "big dog"???

Past machines included a stock 333ES that I had "Kerned" but sold it in favor of a SACD-1000 on the premise that Meitner was going to introduce a 2 channel DAC (which he did but coupled with the Switchman preamp) that ended up being way out of my budget. Don't need multi-channel nor DVD nor DVD-A so the newer universal players are bringing more to the table than I desire or am willing to pay for. Don't really want to consider used gear. It has to travel a long way to my home and I'd like to minimize the risk of out of pocket repairs or insurance fights with carriers.

At the $2K pricepoint are there any proven contenders that offer as much as the XA-777ES (I realize its m/c but as it parallels its dac on 2 ch so thats ok) interms of excellent SACD and really good redbook????
rgd

Showing 2 responses by ivanj

Used Meridian equipment can be problematic and IS expensive to service. Make sure you are not buying someone else's headache. IMHIO.
If you buy an inexpensive Sony (not ES) buy the extended warranty (BestBuy, etc.) They have an MTBF of one day after the manu's warranty expires.