Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2 vs. Dynaudio Focus 140/160

I am putting together a new system which will consist of an Audio Research SP14, McCormack DNA-1 Deluxe, and a new set of smaller speakers, which I will look for on the used market. The McCormack is on its way and I’m currently looking for a good SP14 and speakers. The plan is to use these speakers in a smallish space while I take care of my elderly and ill Father. I will eventually relegate these ‘new’ smaller speakers to a bedroom system and get larger towers for the new system. I do have a set of Klipsch Heresy IIIs, and a much older set of Klipsch Cornwalls, which I may try out before opting for a new(er) set of towers.

I understand that the Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2 is a fantastic option and is an extremely detailed and musical speaker, and I’m confident I’d be very happy with them. Other than the RAAL tweeter, the Dynaudio Focus 140, or possibly a 160 is very similar in that regard. The Dynaudio has an impedance of 4Ω, while the Sierra 2 is 8Ω. The McCormack DNA-1 Deluxe does 330 at 4Ω, so I will need to be mindful not to crank the volume, but I am unlikely to do so. Luckily, the SP14 has an attenuation knob, which will certainly help in this regard.

I should mention that I have not listened to either speaker as I do not have an option to do so, but I have read numerous reviews and both seem to be stellar options.  I also have never listened to a ribbon tweeter.

Budget is $1.2K, or thereabouts, but I certainly wouldn’t be adverse to saving some money since I’m spending ~ $3K on the SP14 and the McCormack DNA-1 Deluxe.

I have wanted both of these speakers for quite some time. I am leaning just a bit towards the Sierra 2. My quandary is that I have found what I believe to be a pretty danged good deal on the Dynaudio Focus 140. Sierra 2s are somewhat difficult to find and will likely cost around $4-500.00 more than this deal I found on the Focus 140s.

I also considered the Revel M22, but again, they are difficult to find, more expensive than the pair of Focus 140s I found and the reviews aren’t quite as good. Any other speakers I should be considering? Also, I am not in any particular hurry, but that deal on the Focus 140s won’t last for too long.

At any rate, I’d be happy to read your comments on these options as well as any other suggestions you may have. The one non-negotiable requirement is that I am not interested in any speakers manufactured in china.

Thank you.

Sorry man. Don’t mean to be a buzzkill and you may get many years out of the amp as it’s pretty hit or miss. My guess, use it til it dies if it does, then sink another $2800 into it with Steve’s latest upgrades and you’ll have a new SOTA amp on the relative cheap. Just my $0.02 FWIW.

@soix: I just had a fairly long conversation with Pat at SMc Audio. Great news! He viewed photos of my McCormack DNA-1 Deluxe and it appears that my unit has already had this issue addressed with a new R1 Drive Board. He told me that with that board, I won’t have to worry about any degradation that would lead to failure. He still wants me to take the cover off to confirm, but it looks like I lucked out. Thanks for the information as I never would have known this unless I spoke to Pat at SMc. I’m sure you can imagine that I feel a lot better now.

Wow! That is great news and I’m SO happy for you!!! And I’ll keep my fingers crossed that you’ve got the revised input board, and if you do I’m sure you’ll get many more trouble-free years out of it. My 0.5 RevA served me well for 25 years of pretty heavy use before it bit the dust so that’s not too shabby, and during that time the only thing I had to do was change a fuse that Steve talked me though.

As for speakers, here’s a pair of Usher BE-718 “Tiny Dancer” speakers that have the better diamond tweeter as opposed to the prior Beryllium model. Great speakers for the $$$, and I’m sure they’ll sound very sweet with the DNA-1 Deluxe. .

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649963888-usher-audio-speakers-be-718-diamond-version/

@soix: Thank you.  My fingers are crossed as well and I will be very happy to receive confirmation of this once I send the requested information and photos in to SMc for review.

Also, I just wanted to say that Pat at SMc was exceedingly knowledgeable and helpful. He was also more than willing to advise me at any time in the future. I came away from the conversation impressed. 

And thanks for the speaker recommendation.  I've heard of Usher, but I don't know much about them I will definitely look into these this evening.  Thanks again!