Article: "Spin Me Round: Why Vinyl is Better Than Digital"

Article: "Spin Me Round: Why Vinyl is Better Than Digital"

I am sharing this for those with an interest. I no longer have vinyl, but I find the issues involved in the debates to be interesting. This piece raises interesting issues and relates them to philosophy, which I know is not everyone's bag. So, you've been warned. I think the philosophical ideas here are pretty well explained -- this is not a journal article. I'm not advocating these ideas, and am not staked in the issues -- so I won't be debating things here. But it's fodder for anyone with an interest, I think. So, discuss away!

https://aestheticsforbirds.com/2019/11/25/spin-me-round-why-vinyl-is-better-than-digital/amp/?fbclid...
128x128hilde45
@audio2design, to my knowledge you can not remove distortion with digital processing. You can adjust frequency response and timing (delay) and you can remove some noise. You are quite correct. You have to optimize the rooms acoustics for your speakers, bass acoustics being most important or you will waste hundreds of watts trying to correct it and possibly pin your subs against their bump stops. 
Aside from getting you to perfectly flat response and all your speakers time and phase aligned the single most important benefit of processing is in making the in room response of the main speakers perfectly identical. The result in imaging is thrilling. No two speakers are identical and no two positions are acoustically identical. You can easily have 5 dB variations at some frequencies between even the most expensive speakers and I have measured Wilson's and Avalons. Most people do not realize this because they have never measured their systems. They think they can "tune" it by ear? Not possible. Your system can not image at it's best without digital processing. People just stubbornly think they can. They can't
audio2 design, you keep saying I need active loudspeakers. First of all I do not think there are any internally active line source ESLs at this time.
My ESLs are one way. No crossover. My processor handles everything including the crossover, check out my system page. The graphs are there. What is the difference between doing this outboard or doing it inboard? My processor does all the measurements with a calibrated mic and automatically generates filters.
mijostone,

My ESLs are one way. No crossover.
Well than you are pretty well off. If you point the ESL to your ears like sanders recommends with his speakers than you do not have much room influence abouve 100 HZ at all especially for esl line source speakers. Probably that is what you doing anyway. In this case when it comes to timing and correct phase you are already ahead of all speakers which use passive crossovers. Whatever the speaker manufacturer comes up with they start from a loosing point and can at best only accomplished what your no crossover speaker does from the start.

I am aware of the differeneces which between left and right speaker could accour. Of course I never experienced what it would meand to have exact same speakers. But Is it really benefitical to add a AD/DA additional calculation only to squeezed out the latest bits and pieces of the speakers? I wonder.Additional some authors said that our ears get used to the room the speakers are in and to correct what the brain already corrects may not be without disadvantages. mean above 100 Hz.

But I would like to hear such a solution - for sure :-)

Yesterday I again put one of the worst record on my turntable. I do not talk about K-Tel records and the like with their lowest possible HiFi sound.
Again I cannot get really in touch with this record. Sometimes it seems to work, a kind of, but most of the time I am detached. There is something really wrong with the recording. The bits and pieces are somehow unconnectet. All sounds rather artifical. Most worse is the piano. This is not a piano. This is something. A space instrument. The sax is o.k. Now before you hit me :-) I will mention in defence the record is only a "nice price" pressing. But I have other "nice price" pressing which are very good.The record is often used even as a reference recording by some. I really wonder why. It is Joe Jackson body and soul.On the back it is listet that it is a digital recording. Now I know that today digital records are much better, but still, for me the recording shows that digital at the start was inferior to good all tape recording. I wonder why such a format could take of.
Well we all have lustet for something new. I remember selling all my vinyl at that time.
Really. You are judging digital recordings by K-Tel?    Who knows how many records they pressed per press master. K-Tel was the AM radio of records.
I’ve been spending a lot of time and money on the digital end of my system lately to the exclusion of records completely.
I just put on a record.

WOW!