Article: "Spin Me Round: Why Vinyl is Better Than Digital"

Article: "Spin Me Round: Why Vinyl is Better Than Digital"

I am sharing this for those with an interest. I no longer have vinyl, but I find the issues involved in the debates to be interesting. This piece raises interesting issues and relates them to philosophy, which I know is not everyone's bag. So, you've been warned. I think the philosophical ideas here are pretty well explained -- this is not a journal article. I'm not advocating these ideas, and am not staked in the issues -- so I won't be debating things here. But it's fodder for anyone with an interest, I think. So, discuss away!

https://aestheticsforbirds.com/2019/11/25/spin-me-round-why-vinyl-is-better-than-digital/amp/?fbclid...
128x128hilde45

Showing 1 response by parker65310

I’m willing to bet that more often than not audiophiles that greatly favor records over digital, particularly cds due to their general availability since basically Avalon was released (first cd my dad bought at a shop that used to exist in Evergreen, CO called the Blue Spruce), is their first experiences that got them hooked on building an audio system were likely with LPs. I say this because my dad regularly questions if my Node2 streamer with my new MHDT Orchid tube DAC can come anywhere close to a cd player. He often associates streaming with highly compressed mp3s much like the early, and largely very bright DDD cd recordings. He had a Technics record player in the early 80’s, but cds are what hooked him. So much of our preference are imbedded from life experiences that changed us in profound ways, much like great albums like Peter Framptom’s “Framptom Comes Alive” and Bob Seger’s “Night Moves” have been those hooks for so many like myself (among many others). Night Moves instantly takes me back to backpacking trips with my dad in southwest (most memorably Anasazi cliff dwelling canyons). This passion we are engaged in is emotional at its core and therefore very personal. This is why the majority of people I talked to about my system smile with a blank look on their face because they didn’t develop their passion around music and building their own audiophile rig and that’s ok. It solidifies for me how personal my system is to me and how I created a place in this world I can escape in some ways immersed in sonic beauty that brings spine tingles and tears at times. Once in while I truly am able to share it with others and that is priceless as well. This thing of ours drills to the heart of what being human is all about.