Art Audio Carissa Signature 845 or 300 b amp?

I just tuned up my Jadis with the help of Trelja and Mechans. It sound great. In fact I prefer it over my 845 amp which I fell in love with.

A short time ago,I visited a friend to listen to his 300b system. It sounded extremely good.

My question is for anyone who has experience with the sound of the Art Audio or any other top shelf 845 amp and a good value, used 300b amp in the $4000 range?

My question is vague, but it will help mein making up my mind on what to do with my systems next.
128x128mattzack2

Showing 2 responses by onemug

I had an Art Audio Carissa Sig many yrs ago. I liked it a lot but much preferred their own 300b, the Symphony II which I still own although it sits idle more than it should.

I truly love a good 300b amp and think it offers more than an 845...BUT...so much depends on the speaker you plan on using with it. I don't know the impedance graph of your Dali (or even if you are planning to keep it), it may be that your CS would be the better amp for it.

Another amp you might consider is the Cary 805 AE. They (monoblocks) use 845's (or 211's) and the output tube is driven by a 300b. I like them more than the CS. I bought them to see if I could pull off the SET magic with my Magnepan 3.6's. Works for me. The other night I played Autumn Leaves from Patricia Barbers Nightclub CD and it was one of the most realistic presentations I've heard to date. The AE will probably be above the 4000 mark but past generations should fit your budget. Just look for one that uses a 300b for the driver.

For a 300b rec, you'd probably like their Symphony II. The Wavelengths are right up there and the Coincident Frankenstein would at the top of my list if I were looking. Good luck.
90 db is okay, 4 ohms "could" be okay. Depends on how much (and where) the impedance flucuates to come up with the 4 ohm "average". The flatter the better.