Aric Audio? First Watt? PrimaLuna?

Looking to purchase a new amp.  Currently I have an Odyssey Khartoga SE.  Speakers: B&W 705s2, 88db.  DAC: Metrum Onyx using Coax from a Singxer SU-1 w/upgrades.  Using a Raspberry PI running MPD.  I have a fairly large collection of digital files.  Turntable is a EAT C-Major w/Lehman phono amp.  Aric Audio Unlimited preamp.

I am looking at an Aric Audio Transcend Push Pull, a First Watt J2, F6 or SIT-3, or a PrimaLuna DIaglogue Premium.  I have always wanted a tube amp and I definitely want to take my amp to the next level.  I feel it is the weakest link I now have.  I don't want a tube amp that I have to bias and I don't want to have to replace the power tubes every 2 years at $600 up.

Heat is a concern.  My "listening room" is my garage, unheated and uncooled except what I can get thru the kitchen door when the temps get above 90 or below 45.  Between those I tend to leave the garage door open as I love the sunshine.  So my components sit in a cabinet to protect them.  I can leave the door open and I have cooling fans in the cabinet.

The First Watt interests me and the sound, from what I have read, seems like what I want.  But then so do the tube amps.  So, I am looking for .....wisdom.  Yours specifically.  What are your thoughts? 

Thanks!
128x128jgoldrick

Showing 1 response by metropolis_488

You are looking at very esoteric amps that don’t do well will low impedance loads and do not have much dampening. I have owned The F5, Aleph J and F6 as well as SET amps (the 18 watt 300b referenced above must be Parallel Single Ended, because a single 300b can only output aroun 9 watts at about 10% THD).

your speakers are anathema to those types of amps. If you really want tubes, you will need something in the push - pull variety. I’ve owned Prima Luna and think they are only ok, but they will drive your speakers. You can look at Audio Research if budget allows.

otherwise, you can get different speakers. I own Kef LS50’s and B&W’s and have owned PSB and Salk among others. My favorite speakers are Zu Omens- which work perfectly with those small wattage amps.