Are there speakers after Stax?

I just got a chance to listen to my new Stax SRS-4040
Signature System II, and it blows away any speakers I have ever heard. It has its own dedicated, direct-drive tube amp (006t) and the full-range electrostatic drivers use a diaphram that is actually lighter than air.

The coherency and balance is outstanding, as is the transient response. But the delivery of fine, inner nuances and minute details is simply mind boggling. No speaker I have heard even comes close to what these baby's can deliver -- and this without highlighting any particular segment of the audible frequency spectrum. The bass is ultra quick and smooth, the midrange, beyond compare, and the high frequencies the most delicate and detailed that I have ever heard.

I may find it difficult to go back to speakers after hearing what this system can do. When you don't have to deal with room reflections, bass anomalies, and controlling vibrations/acoustic feedback, not only is there a true performance advantage, but the price/performance ratio is much better.

I know that some 'philes shun cans, but after my session last night, I feel these folks are missing the boat.

In a couple of months I'll be moving out of state and looking to buy new reference speakers for my new home. As fine and detailed as my InnerSound Mk-II speakers were, the Stax SRS-4040 system seems to be an order of magnitude better. I really don't think there are any speakers that can compete at this level, but I'm open to suggestions. Does anyone else feel this way???
plato

Showing 1 response by malcolm100

I've just bought a 4040 system and agree with many of the comments above, especially the irreplaceable physical effect of listening to room speakers, amazing though the 4040s are.

BTW, I need to change my SRM 006t from 240v to 120v operation. Does anyone know how this is done? Are there jumpers / switches inside the unit?

Thanks,

Malcolm