Are there any more good multi format disc players out there?

I miss the old days, circa 2007. I miss my great sounding multi channel Marantz disc player the UD7007, and the way it played dvd-audio, SACDs, and redbook convincingly. I have a lot of multi channel SACDs and dvd-a that I can’t listen to because my current player only does two channel. Does anyone know of any new players marketed for that same purpose, or do I need to get with the times, buy a streamer and admit defeat? I understand that not all multi channel audio was good, but a lot still is, and having the option to play it—in high resolution two channel as well—was terrific.

I still have the Marantz, but I was told it wasn’t worth repairing. Maybe it is after all. Maybe something on the used marketplace?

Anyone have any suggestions?

jonasandezekiel

OP,

Sounds to me like you made a good case for streaming to be better sound quality soon, if it is not now. (today, it simply depends which one you are comparing to which).

Consider a player is an optical computer file storage device, a streamer, and a DAC. It is reading computer files.

A streamer receives computer files from internal storage, external storage, or from a streaming service. Protocols in various places make sure the bits are identical. After this the player and DAC for a streamer do the same thing.

You can take those files and put them on a hard drive and read them from there… or put the files on a local network drive and read them from there. Or put the files on a set of drives owned by Qobuz and stream them through the internet.

However, where the real problem comes with players… they only deal with one file type of relatively low resolution… red book. So, for instance, Qobuz has over half a million albums in high resolution. A trend that will continue… leaving red book behind.

The Reavon 110 and 200 both play multi channel SACD and DVD-Audio. So does the Sony 800mk2.

@ghdprentice you had me until you stated that players “only deal with one file type of relatively low resolution, red book”. Not true. I was originally posting about the multi format players that play high resolution dvd-a and DSD as well as redbook, so no, they don’t only play low rez.. That was the whole point of my original post. Unfortunately, I’m still not convinced that streaming is superior when comparing it to more traditional formats. Despite all that, I’m more than willing to buy a relatively inexpensive streamer and have some fun. I’m not a Luddite either.