Are there any $1500 tube preamps that that can compare with Tubes4hifi's SP14?

Reviews on the Tubes4hifi's SP14 are consistently positive and so many people are blown away by them.  I haven't heard one but I want one. I want to upgrade and would like to know if there other ones that can hold up against the SP14 at the $1500 price point. 
amritash
I haven't heard any $1500 tube preamp that can compare with a "tweaked" Tubes4hifi's SP14. By "tweaked" I mean put some better parts in it - Duelund/Jupiter/V-Cap output caps, good quality resistors in the signal path, better components for the PS, good attenuator, Shuguang CV181 tubes, etc. The price would go up from $1500, but you would have a preamp that can easily compare with a lot more expensive preamps. If you are into DIY you can buy the kit from Tubes4hifi and upgrade components yourself. Otherwise you can go to Don and get his version. 
Following up @charles1dad comment, I too think a comparison between Don Sachs and Linear Tube Audio (LTA) ZOTL preamplifiers would be very interesting indeed. As a side note, the Tube Research Lab (TRL) Dude is another 6SN7-based design

After exchanging a few emails with Don, I got the sense that he is not only quite knowledgeable and generous with his ideas, but he’s also a very modest guy … a real professional. At the same time, I had hoped he might weigh into the discussion regarding any similarities/differences between his approach and ZOTL from a technical perspective. In the end, I suppose all we really care about is “how does it sound?”

Having just read Teajay’s (Terry London) Home Theater review of the LTA MZ2-S line stage, all I could say is “wow”. What I found particularly compelling was his comparison to the Van Alstine AVA FET Valve CF, along with a host of other well-known and much more expensive preamps. On the other side we have @whitestix experience with Don Sachs’ SP-14 outperforming an equally impressive line-up. Wouldn’t it be great if someone (Teajay?) could get a hold of both units for a head-to-head shootout and review?  

In terms of features – and just looking at the MZ2-S - Teajay goes on to list a few High Points and Low Points in his review. Based on what I would consider for my own purposes, I’d go a step further in comparing the SP-14 versus the MZ2-S:  1) The MZ2-S is multipurpose … functioning as a preamp, an integrated, or a headphone amp. So one could add a set of high-efficiency speakers and be good to go; 2) The SP-14 allows up to 6 inputs, including the ability to swap out a couple for HT pass-through and balanced/XLR. In this case you would have 4 RCA inputs +XLR input +HT.  The MZ2-S has a limit of 3 inputs; all single-ended with no HT option. 3) The SP-14 has 2 sets of pre-outs to easily add a subwoofer. The MZ2-S has 1 set; and 4) both have remote control options, neither allow for built-in phono stage (like the AVA FET). All things considered, I’d opt for the Don Sachs SP-14.

These are just a few thoughts I wanted share on the subject. Thanks for reading. I hope the folks who I mentioned don’t mind. It’s just that I always try to defer to those with firsthand, or should I say “first-ear” experience. That said, even though I have not personally heard either of these preamps, I have a very strong feeling I’d be quite happy with either one.

Happy Listening!

Stratehead,
You have raised several interesting and informative points.  A shoot-out with Don's SP14 variant preamp which costs ~$2000-$2200 preamp vs. the $6000 Dude would be very interesting.  As for the LTA MX2-s, it is a multi-purpose unit that will drive only the most sensitive speakers, like Klipsch horn speaker where 1 watt might be sufficient.  Its purpose, as I understand, is as a headphone amp principally.  Don's SP-14 is of course specifically a preamp.  

You have aptly described the features of his SP-14.  His tape loop, which I have, allow me to use my DSP Anti-Mode digital signal processor.  I am quite certain he now offers a remote control for his preamp, as well.  Don has been spending a good bit of time lately comparing the sound of various internal wiring, carefully noting the differences of between them.  He can build the preamp with absolutely stellar Neotech copper/silver/gold wire, as well as the very good new Dueland tinned copper wire.  The very pricey, but stunning Dueland caps are an option as well.  Don will work with a customer to find out what aspects of sound they prefer and build the preamp accordingly.  So, frankly, he actually offers a multitude of preamps that are tailored to the preferences of his customers.  

As I noted above, I also have a stock SP-14, albeit with upgrade Mundorf silver Oil output caps, and it is very good, indeed.  But Don's preamp, when compared to it side-by-side, is vastly better in every respect.  The soundstage is huge and the instruments are perceived as hanging in the air with a stunningly clear presence.  By comparison, Don's preamp is much more extended with more impactful bass.   The improvements he employs with the basic SP-14 design are all additive and carefully thought out and personally voiced by Don.

Three final points.  An integral part of Don's synthesis of the SP14 design has been to locate the tubes on the top of his preamp.  This has two advantages.  First is that it allows for better heat dissipation of the tubes, likely leading to longer tube life.  And secondly, they allow for convenient access to the tubes for what a lot of us like to do, which is "tube rolling".  Rolling tubes in the stock SP14 entails removing over a dozen tiny screws to access the innards of the preamp.  I think this design improvement is sheer genius.  Finally, I think the wood case that Don uses has a great deal of ascetic appeal, with the glowing tubes on the top.

So, yeah, I am a devotee of Don's preamp after having several far more expensive preamps in my system over the years.  Along with Don's new KT88-based amp, one would be a outstanding combination to drive most any speakers.   You could spend a whole lot more dough, but not likely not be more satiated with the performance.   Cheers, Whitestix 
What is intriguing about the Linear Tube Audio (LTA) ZOTL preamplifier is what it has been compared with in direct listening sessions in a familiar system. In his review Terry London match it against the Pass Labs XP 30 and the Concert Fidelity preamp driving his Pass Labs XA 60.8 amplifier. Not only did the LTA ZOTL preamp compete he felt that it actually sounded better.

That’s very significant praise when one considers the cost and esteemed reputation of the two reference preamps he’s relied on in his primary system and for his reviews. Obviously one person’s listening impressions but worthy of note given the context.
Charles