Are the KEF Blade/Blade 2 Metas a Significant Upgrade from Blade?

I’ve enjoyed my KEF Blade 2 for over 5 years. Just wondering if anyone has compared the Blade/2 Metas to the original and how significant an upgrade in sound observed. With 65 yo ears improving on excellent is not always a sure thing. Thanks so much!

audiobrian

A comparison of KEF LS60 and pair of KC62s with Blade 2 Meta would be interesting. Wonder how close you get with an MSRP of $10K ($7K for LS60, $3K for KC62s). I’m using a pair of KC62s with LS50 Wireless II in my living room.  The SW controlled DSP KEF provides for the wireless speakers does an excellent job of integrating the speakers with the subs.

db

The uniq driver in the blades uses a vented magnet, I believe it’s the 10th gen uniq with the custom tweeter. Each line of kefs use a different uniq with the blade and blade 2 being unique to even the reference, now the ref and blade meta use the same uniq driver, while the R uses another unit and the q line different still.

KEF’s vented tweeters were suppose to address the same issue as Meta, back wave management; I guess not quite as effectively. A friend asked me whether he should purchase a Ref 3 Meta or used Blade 2. I told him he should try to listen to both but I’d favor an excellent condition used Blade 2.  

I spoke with a KEF Blade and KRELL amp dealer today on the East Coast.  The dealer loves the KEF Blade and knows it very well. We had a superb conversation about amps for the Blades. One of the most knowledgeable dealers I have ever spoken with. 

He said that in his experience the Blade Meta is a bit more detailed, a bit faster sounding, and tighter bass than the older Blade.  However, he has an older Blade that they have in the shop and he wants to keep that for himself. He said that the changes on the old Blade to new Blade Meta are not that big. He did say the changes from old LS50 to the new LS50 Meta are much bigger sonically. 

In terms, of amps he loves the new KRELL XD amps on them. the DUO 300XD  model and up (unfortunately I have the lower power DUO 175XD). He also said the CODA #16 is great with the Blade (does not sell CODA). 

Finally got the time to get the new display in my meridian’s, the dsp8k with the se upgrade is pretty special. I’ve been going back and forth with the blades. I love these first world problems. Can’t keep both so it’ll depend on the market and which I can sell, they’re both amazing