Are the better $$$ 845 tubes worth it sonically??

I have the ASL 1009 monoblocks (a pair of 845's per amp), and have the stock Chinese 845 tubes. Has anyone compared their 845-based amps with ANY other type of 845 tubes?

I am most interested in hearing about the KR 845's, as they are current production, and available from Czech at $430/matched pair . The older GE-type NOS 845's seem way to expensive.

I guess the main question though is WHAT differences sonically did you notice upon using a 'better' 845 tube, and was it worth it??
sutts

Showing 3 responses by ecclectique

Hi Sutts. I have both the ASL-1009dt and the 1006dt and have the amperex 845's,rca 845's,centron 845's,and the chineese valve art 845's.My overall preference was the amperex copper based 845... however I did not find them significantly better than the valve art. The chineese 845 is a very good sounding valve by comparison and an extrordinary value when you take the cost into consideration.Regarding their life expectancy...I am not sure? However the NOS 845's should last you a life time....I can tell you that I have over 1000 hours on a pair of chineese valve arts without a single hiccup.Perhaps the other contributer was using them in a different 845 based amp.In the ASL 1009 amps...just stick with the chineese 845's and enjoy, as they are simply "fabulous" sounding amps with most speakers. Further more:the driver tubes have a way bigger influence on the overall performance! Cheers David
Hey Sutts.Which vintage mullard? I found all the mullards great..but my favorite mullard is the box plate 8139.Retains that mullard tone in the mids with better resolution in the bass.If you are into tube rolling...you have to try a 60's Mazda chrome plate 12au7.They can be a little hard to find but there are lots out there with a little searching and usually quite reasonable to boot.They are easily identified by their silver plates,a lot of them are labelled GE made in France.In the 1009...they have all the body of the mullards with better top to bottom balance.I found the mullards a little rolled on the top when compared to the telefunkens,siemens or mazdas.The chrome plates have that beautiful soul of the mullards with the top end air and resolution of the teles.Really opens up the window on the stage! A great compliment for the 845. Cheers David.
Hey Sutts. That is over 3000 hours /year. Now I understand your inquiry regarding nos 845 tube life. The good thing is: the nos 845,s are said to be good for 20-30,000 hours.Regarding the current KR 845...Who the hell knows? I haven't even heard the new 845- however, I must say that I am very impressed with the sound of the 300bxl and 842.Hopefully; someone that uses the kr 845 will jump into the thread and comment.Regarding the 12au7's.... The tubes that I recommended should cost you a lot less than the mullard 12au7 and if you should happen across any perhaps you might consider them for down the road.Like most nos preamp tubes.... they ain't getting any cheaper! Cheers David.