Are Ohm-Walsh micros and 1000 series disrespected because of omni-directional design??

I never was a big fan of Omni-directional speakers because they are often disappointing.  I don't need the sound in back of me or 2 foot to my right or left.  However, I have seen many testimonials for Ohm -Walsh speaker on Audiogon, yet they are infrequently reviewed. 

Therefore, are Ohm-Walsh speakers disrespected because of  their Omni directional design??. I  noticed two issues on their website: 1) how do your determine which micro or tall column will be compatible for the dimensions of your listening area, especially if your listening area is only part of a larger room. 2)  A  buyer can easily mistake  the way they are priced. For example, the OW Talls (w-1000)  are $ 1000 each, NOT $1000 FOR THE PAIR.  So, that model is $2000 a pair, and there is lot of competition from conventional designed speaker, in that price category For example. the Golden Ear Technology. model 7, and the Magneplanar .07 both in the $1400-1500 price range and, some of the PSB towers, like the T-2 or T-3. or Monitor Audio recent series.. 

Would like some feedback about whether this Ohm-Wash design is disrespected  by the major audio press. Are  hardcore audiophile not convinced by the Omni-directional design and results, and so it never gets a f"air shake or serious audition,

sunnyjim

Showing 2 responses by bondmanp

Sunnyjim:  As a happy owner (for 5+ years) of the Ohm Walsh 2000s, I beg to differ with your preconceptions of omni sound in general and Ohm Walsh sound in particular.  You can read my impressions in the review section of this site, as well as on the lengthy "Ohm Micro Walsh Tall, Who's Actually Heard 'Em" thread.

First off, I don't think Ohm is disrespected at all. It is simply off most journalists' radar.  Ohm does not advertise, reducing the chance they will be reviewed by the major audio mags (although if you search for them, they have been reviewed by some of the big-name reviewers in the past).  Ohm only sells direct, so it has no dealer network.  Also, and John Strohbeen, owner of Ohm, told me this personally, he does not do audio shows, as he feels he would not have enough time to properly dial in a system in those notoriously awful sounding hotel rooms.  He is a bit of a perfectionist.

As for the "sound" of omnis, my experience is that they differ as widely one to another as do conventional dynamic speakers in their character, including thier soundstage reproduction.  In fact, my previous speaker, Vandersteen 1Cs, actually projected more sound in front of the speaker plane, and near the listening position, than the Ohms do.  As I have commented, the center fill on the Ohms is outstanding and solid, with stable imaging and well-defined images.  When there is phasey information in the recording, the sound does indeed come from all over the room, but if the recording is straight-up, the soundstage is mostly at or behind the speaker plane.  IMHO, John Strohbeen knows how to voice a loudspeaker extremely well.  That is as much an art as it is a science.

As for the pricing, I don't find prices per speaker as unusual or deceptive, as some may want odd numbers of speakers for surround purposes.  Golden Ear does the same in their advertisements, btw.

I agree that the Golden Ear line offers an excellent value, and had they been available when I was shopping for speakers they would have been in contention.  But it would have been difficult to get a 120 day in-home trial on the GE's like you get with Ohms.  That opportunity to hear the Ohms in my room, with my gear, for an extended period, and allow a lot of break-in, was priceless. 

Without meaning to be harsh, I will quote J. Gordon Holt, founder of Strereophile, who used to say "if you haven't heard it, you don't have an opinion".  If you are shopping for speakers, try the Ohms in your home.  Yes, you will be out the shipping charges if you don't like them.  Or, use this site to find a local Ohm owner and ask for a demonstration.  I've done that before, and would do it for you, except I live in New Jersey.

jbmays - IMHO, a rebuild will be well worth it.  Ohm has improved the quality of the materials used, and the life of the Ohm Walsh drivers, at least the current models, is estimated by Ohm to be 40-50 years before repairs will be needed due to normal useage.

jwatsonnj - I do in fact run my Ohm Walsh 2000s with a pair of Vandersteen 2Wq subs.  Pure heaven!  And I am also in NJ.  What exit are you?