Are my speakers blown???

I have slowly began to notice that my stereo sounds badly distorted (crackling), mainly in the tweeters of my Alon1's, at a medium to high volume. I REALLY noticed it when I replaced my ancient Sonographe CD player with a Rega Planet. It sounds wonderful at lower levels, but can't handle loudness. I suspect that my Conrad Johnson PV10A (pre-amp) may need new tubes. I am not a techie, so I'm guessing. Amp being used is a BK ST1400 (older). The wierd thing is, my Nak tape deck does not cause any noticable distortion. I aslo suspect that the Planet has a higher output level and a greater freq range than the tape player. I really appreciate everyone's help!!!! Brad - Atlanta
bday0000

Showing 2 responses by bday0000

Thanks, guys!!! I actually (finally!!!) traced the problem down to my BK ST1400 Amp. I have sent it back to the manu. for repair. I have a loaner amp in place now. I went ahead and replaced the tubes in my Conrad Johnson PV10A with VTL tubes (was RCA's). I can't wait until these tubes "burn-in" and I get my amp back.
Just to follow up: My BK ST1400 Amp has been back for a week now. BK really did a great job with the repair. They only charged me $30 for new FETs, a new power supply and a new cage!!! My system sounds great. I have noticed that it plays much louder and effortlesly as before. The image is gigantic. Anyway, thanks, BK!!!!