Are my CAT5 and router my weak link?

I have paid a lot of money for my PS Audio PW DAC II with the bridge....as well as all of my interconnects, power cords and speaker cables. After all that, I have an inexpensive (relative to my system) wireless router that connects my computer to the PW DAC and CAT6 cables that are not too special. Are those components letting the signal come through fully? I am curious what others may have done.

Thanks
Jeff
jeffatus
Hi Bryon,

Note, however, the statement in Jeff's most recent post that:
I need the wireless router on because my iPad controls the computer wirelessly. The computer, via PS Audio's eLyric, then sends the data to the Perfectwave DAC.
So if I understand correctly, in his particular situation the connection between the router and the computer needs to be maintained during music playback.

Best,
-- Al
Oops. I missed that. Then what about connecting the router to the computer wirelessly, Jeff?

bc
Huh.....

Well, I wonder if I make the computer connection to router wireless

Then

Connect the computer direct to the DAC (bypassing the switch altogether)

I can't think of any reason I need a switch for the computer to talk with the DAC. As long as the PW DAC can still get the album art, which is not a deal breaker, then I can't think of why it wouldn't work.

The eLyric controller on the iPad would send the controls/commands wireless to the router, then the router sends it wireless to the computer, which then processes the request and sends the info direct to the DAC via CAT7 cable. I keep thinking that the DAC does more than process the audio signal and album artwork, but I think it's the computer that does all the work. The DAC just processes the data.

Very enlightening, I never would have thought of that! Does anyone see anything I missed?

Jeff
I am using Cat 7 cables throughout. They cost just a little bit more but they appear to be more robust in the connections.
08-14-12: Jeffatus
Well, I wonder if I make the computer connection to router wireless, then connect the computer direct to the DAC (bypassing the switch altogether).... Does anyone see anything I missed?
That's a good question, given that it sounds like the computer is either a laptop or a desktop with a wireless adapter. Here are a couple of points to consider, though:

1)In doing that essentially what you would be doing is substituting one significant generator of digital noise (the computer) for another (the router). And quite possibly the computer is considerably worse in that respect than the router. Having a network switch between the computer and the DAC could conceivably still provide significant noise reduction benefit, with respect to computer-generated noise in this instance.

2)Changing to a wireless connection between the router and the computer might slow down your internet connection speed, depending on the speeds of the internet connection and the wireless link. If you frequently have occasion to download large files that might be a significant consideration.

Regards,
-- Al