Are most budget & mid range amps under-powered?

I've been reading some articles by a speaker manufacturuer about how under-powered most modern amps are for the speakers they have to drive.
The basis was that for "true hifi", a system needs to be able to achieve unclipped peaks of 105dB at the listening position, often about three meters away. For 90dB/Watt @1M speakers like mine, this means I need an amp capable of over 125W per channel, which is a lot more than my NAD 50W/channel amp can manage.
The same peak from 87dB/Watt speakers would need a 250W/channel amp.
Does this sound right to you guys, and does it mean many amplifier manufacturers are under-powering their amps?
carl109
Dont get hung up on power ratings. there is no set rating system for maufacturers and, as such, the specified power output is useless in determining an amps capability. In fact, some find lower powered amps to sound better than their big watt competitors. The difference is all in an amplifiers topology and design.

You speakers are pretty efficient in my book, I wouldn't be overly concerned that your amp is under-powered...
I'll agree that most systems are underpowered but I don't blame the manufacturers. In fact, some speaker makers are building much more efficient designs than years ago. Whether consumers undervalue or underestimate the virtue of dynamics is their own priority.

Too often, I've seen in these forums where wattage is directly related to volume and speaker efficiency where they seem to miss the point of peaks or distortion caused by a lack of power. Just because a speaker has a minimum wattage rating does not mean that it will reproduce a realistic crescendo or even an accurate cymbal strike at that level.
Porziob: "Not everyone chooses to listen 105 db @ 3 meters."
I wasn't suggesting a constant listening level of 105dB! The articles I read referred to a system being able to deliver an unclipped momentary PEAK of 105dB, which equates roughly to a live performance level, at an average listening distance of 3 meters.
Of course I've heard of brands like Rotel, but even they make amps of 50 Watts/channel, which if matched with speakers of 87dB/Watt@1meter, could only manage an undistorted peak of around 95dB.
Dont get hung up on power ratings. there is no set rating system for maufacturers and, as such, the specified power output is useless in determining an amps capability.
??? The specified output IS the amp's capability in energy... output. You must mean s/thing else.

Carl, many "sound quality" amps are lower powered simply because it's difficult and, thereby, more expensive to market good sounding high powered amps.

However, some brands are offering reasonable wattage at reasonable prices -- as referred to above.
You'll need ~200W/channel to reach nice peaks -- but can yr speakers take this power?? For many drivers, the standard safety limit is ~100W.
I suspect many users have underpowered amps for their particular speaker application, but I would not say the amps themselves are inherently underpowered.

A good high powered amp will generally cost more though for sure.

Class D/Icepower is perhaps helping to lower the barrier for many to being able to afford high power when needed.