Are Maggies Cat Proof?

HEY GANG, HAVE BEEN LOOKING INTO PICKING UP A PAIR OF USED MAGGIES IN THE NEXT COUPLE MONTHS. PROBLEM IS MY LIVE IN GIRLFRIENDS CAT "WHICH IS DECLAWED" LIKES TO USE MY PRESENT SPEAKERS AS A SCRATCHING PAD. FORTUNATLY THE POLK AUDIOS I HAVE HAVE NOT BEEN AFFECTED OTHER THAN STRETCHED OUT CLOTH COVERS IN SPOTS. IM WONDERING IF THE MAGGIES WOULD GET TRASHED OR DAMAGED FROM THE SAME ABUSE. I KNOW A GOOD WAY TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM BUT GETTING RID OF THE CAT IS OUT OF THE QUESTION. BELIEVE ME I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING I.E. I THINK IM ALLERGIC ECT. DID NOT WORK.
clevelandhifi
A friend of mine with 3.5's has made covers for them, that he leaves on when not in use. The covers slide on top like garbage bags, and he used some kind of fabric that the cats don't like. They don't climb on them any more.
Without something, I'd venture to guess that you'd certainly damage them. Cheers,
Spencer
How about a big-ass dog that sleeps by the speakers?

But seriously, cats with claws love Magnepan speakers. I have never seen a declawed cat need a scratching post, and if they did, I would suspect that a lack of claw equals a lack of damage.

One method is to cut a piece of cardboard the width of the panel and about 2 ft out, one for the front, one for the back, cover them both with heavy duty double stick tape. Cats hate that stuff. Or, cut the cardboard as above, but push thumbtacks up through the bottom, points up. a little meaner perhaps, but kitty will only do it once....
If it is one of the models with a "true" ribbon tweeter then you are asking for trouble for sure. Not sure about the other models. Try asking @ www.audioasylum.com and go to planers section.

As an alternative, I know for a fact Martin Logan are cat proof.... Little kitty decided to climb my left channel once.......Kitty got declawed asap while the speakers whent into storage. Left speaker has a couple of indentations in the mylar but so far no negative affects on the sound and it has been well over a year.

Good luck