Are linear tracking arms better than pivoted arms?

My answer to this question is yes. Linear tracking arms trace the record exactly the way it was cut. Pivoted arms generally have two null points across the record and they are the only two points the geometry is correct. All other points on the record have a degree of error with pivoted arms. Linear tracking arms don't need anti-skating like pivoted arms do which is another plus for them.

Linear tracking arms take more skill to set up initially, but I feel they reward the owner with superior sound quality. I have owned and used a variety of pivoted arms over the years, but I feel that my ET-2 is superior sounding to all of them. You can set up a pivoted arm incorrectly and it will still play music. Linear tracking arms pretty much force you to have everything correct or else they will not play. Are they worth the fuss? I think so.
mepearson

Showing 1 response by buconero117

Depends. As you mentioned they are fussy, and require working time for a perfect set up. I have a Sony 800 linear tracker with a Grace ruby. I also have a VPI Aries I with a ClearAudio Victory. I know, 'A Sony' he must be kidding. But, hey, it does sound great, 'computer controlled', no air required. I am sure Sony never made any money on the 800 unit as the R&D just had to be out of sight. Yes, someday the unit will stop working and it will never be repaired. Maybe I will sell it, if someone will pick it up and pay a reasonable price. Hard to tell the VPI and Sony apart, sometimes.