Are Definitive Technology BP 3000 TL worth their

I am about to buy a pair of BP300TL (1000 watts powered 18" subwoofer for each speaker) and 4 6.5" midrange drivers and 2 tweeters. Retail around $4500 for the pair. Please give me your opinions.
vincent_esq

Showing 1 response by consttraveler

I own Def Tech's for my home theatre and would buy them again. I have the BP-30's in front, CLR-2000 center, and BP-10's in the rear. These are not the powered speakers you are looking at, but share the same mid's and tweeters.

One word of warning, they take awhile to settle in, especially the tweeters. Right out of the box, the metal tweeters (mine anyway) were very bright, almost to the point of being irritating. As a result, I found that I could not listen to them for "music only" for extended periods. After less than 100 hrs., there was a dramatic change to the warmer side but they still sounded metalic. After another period (probably 50-75 hrs.) they got better to my ears, again.

I found the greatest improvement was when I changed cables to Analysis Plus Oval-9's for the front and center channels. The whole system is more detailed, clearer, and much less solid state sounding (sounds tube like, if you know what I mean).

If you wait for them to burn-in, I think you be happy.

Best regards.