Are Classe Amps Good for B&W?

...and if so, which? I have a pair of B&W 704s and a Rotel 1070 amp/pre-amp combo. I want to upgrade the Rotels. I auditioned the new Krell 400 integrated, and although the expressiveness and emotive power were awesome, I felt that the music sounded constrained. The soundstage was small and instrument separation was poor. Then I auditioned the McCormack DNA 125 and corresponding pre-amp. All the quantifiable factors were great. It was clear, quiet, detailed, soundstage was huge and deep, everything excellently balanced and controlled. However I thought the sound of the music itself was very dry and emotionless. Rather than being neutral, the combo seemed to be neutralizing, regardless of what genre of music I played.

So basically I'm looking for the perfect marriage of the two. An amp/pre-amp with the expressiveness of the Krell with the instrument separation and fantastic soundstaging of the McCormack. I'm searching for a good price on a used Krell combo, but am also looking for some alternatives (preferably less expensive).

Does anyone have a Classe amp (perhaps a 200 or 201) with the B&W 704? How do you like it?

Thanks,R
rfprice

Showing 1 response by jay_douglas_2879b79