Are CD clubs a good deal?

I have never joined a CD/Record club. Anyone belong to one and is there a catch?
klhender

Showing 1 response by matt8268

If you don't subscribe to the theory that BMG discs sound worse than regular discs, BMG is a great disc club. (I've read some articles where people confirm with precise measurement equipment that the BMG disc is identical to a store bought disc, but still claim they hear a difference when played through their system).

You get 12 discs for the price of one. You can sign up online at bmgmusic.com. You pick 7, then buy 1 at regular price ($17 or so), then you get 4 more free. They have popular CD's as well as classical. They will charge you $2-3 dollar in shipping and handling for each disc. When all's said and done, it ends up being an average of a little over $3 a disc. What a deal!

Just make sure to send in the card or go online and say you don't want the featured selection, or else they will send you discs you didn't ask for. Also, they will never give you their phone number, but it's (317) 692-9200. This is useful if you don't feel like waiting to do everything through the mail...they actually have very good customer service by phone.

Once you've completed your enrollment agreement (7+1+4), just call and say you wish to cancel (you can even cancel in the same phone call as you order your last 1+4). If you feel like it, you can then go back online and sign up for the same deal again! I've signed up at BMG about 15 times in my life, many times at the same address. They don't care because they're still making money, and there's enough suckers that stick around after their enrollment agreement and start buying discs for $10-$15.