Are Bowers and Wilkins speakers overpriced?

I see a lot of negative commentary on B&W. Why? Are they overpriced? Do they not sound as amazing as they look? Are they too “main stream”? - I love my 805 d3’s but curious why they get such a bad rep. 
paulgardner
The very notion that anything is "overpriced" is a moot discussion. There is one rule. What will the market bear? It's a simply reality and 4425 hit the nail on the head. If people are buying quantity enough to keep the market viable... then nothing is overpriced.
IMHO all audio devices are overpriced. The industry make from HiEnd the luxury commodity. Well... since I have no respect for money then I give a crap. After all my life span is very short.
a few thoughts.

either you like them or you don't. looks and/or sound. If you like them, realize, you are buying years of engineering and production development, as well as the resulting fabricated pair.

if you don't like them, then, they are very overpriced, their engineering/publicity .. is all BS, their looks are designed for marketing ... and you might need to say bad things about them to justify not buying them rather than feel someone might think you cannot afford them.

IOW, you always have to consider the source of both good and bad comments.

I'm 70, set in my ways now, however I was very active when the 801's were announced, oh my, the big deal in the magazines, before they hit the stores. I couldn't afford them, just wanted to be amazed by their sound. They hit Harvey's, audio shows, .... I went away without great enthusiasm, never could explain why, I certainly would not say negative things about them.
+1 4425

My opinion only but if there’s one piece of a system where you just can’t afford to compromise, it’s the speakers. Of course I’m not saying everything else doesn’t matter but nothing matters more in terms of the dramatic difference in sound you get than speakers.

Here’s what I my mean. Take a price level. Let’s say $5k for sake of argument. Now go listen to 20 different $5k speakers. It is amazing how different they sound.

Do same with amps or source at a fixed price level and variance nowhere near as large.
So for time-challenged folk (aren’t we all?), the one thing you absolutely have to get right is the speakers (if u must prioritize due to other life attention stealers).

So if you love BW, stretch to get them even if they may cost a little more than comparable speakers. Get what sounds best to you.

PS - Electrocompaniet was brand I couldn’t remember

in my search (hundreds of hours), I probably spent 80% on speaker search, 18% on amp search, 1% on source search (at this point I was worn out and just blindly went with dealer recommendation) and 1% on everything else. 

I don’t recommend that but it worked out well for me. Got lucky on source I guess....