Arcam DV 88, Pioneer DVL 919 or Sony 9000 es ?

I need a new digital source, and would like to have video included. The Arcam has HDCD (good) is expensive and has questionable reliability. The Pioneer plays laserdiscs (have a few Disney discs not yet available on DVD, that my child really likes)and a lot of bells & whistles and moving parts (that worries me). The Sony has SACD (not a big deal to me) and is limited in it's ability to play all CD formats. I'm only interested in 2 channel play back. My first concern is sound not video. I plan to use the S video output, no component video inputs on my current TV (Panasonic 27") and I don't plan on upgrading the TV for a couple of years. The current system incudes c-j PF-2L into c-j MF 80 into Thiel CS 2's all wired with Straightwire LSI Encore for audio and HAVE Canare cables for video, plugged into a Adcom ACE 515 power conditioner. All in a fairly live room that is 23.75' by 11.75' with a ceiling that varies from 9' to 14' with speakers set up along the long wall. The flooring is carpeted over wood suspended over concrete and seperated from the rest of the house. The current system could use help with tighter bass especially when things get complicated (solo bass isn't too bad)and varies from recording to recording, also the lower treble can be a bit ragged. I suspect the room could use work and a bigger amp would help and some of these problems are inherent in the system, but for now I'm interested in the source. Any one compare these units or have any other suggestions? As always, thanks in advance.
unsound

Showing 2 responses by unsound

Gunbei, thanks for your reply. The room needs work. I am considering differnt options. The surfaces are fairly well "broken up" and side walls are over 6' away from the speakers. Ideally I'd have another 1.25' or so along the short wall but alas nothings perfect. Right now I need a source.
I think the the raggedness is due to the room. It wasn't there in my old room and it really isn't too bad. The c-j stuff works quite nicely with the Thiels. I do think that the ported bass is a problem, though.