Arcam CD player history

I have noticed many Arcam CD players for sale lately. No, I am not asking why. I was looking for some insight on the lineage of them. I was thinking of picking one up to use primarily as a transport or a player to have around in a second system. Can anyone enlighten me as to which models might make good transports or just how all these different model numbers unfold in age and technology.

Thank you,
pardales

Showing 1 response by calgarian5355

I believe the Arcam cd players that used the excellent dcs ring DAC were the Alpha 9, the Diva CD92, and the FMJ 23. The CD93, I believe, uses the Wolfson DAC which, many believe, does not sound as good as the ring dac machines.

Each player as I've listed them increase in cost, with the FMJ 23 being the most expensive of the three. I had previously owned the Diva CD92, and it's an excellent player. I would add a high quality cd mat such as the one made by 'de mat' (if you can find it..it's exceptional) or one of the many cd mats available from Music Direct. The difference in sound quality with the mat is night and day!

The above models are the one's I'd be looking for primarily because of the DAC converter.

calgarian