Arcam alpha 7 upgrade/alternatives/useds for 1000

I have an arcam alpha 7 player, considering moving up to the alpha 9 for $1000. Other options are an outboard dac - evs, linkdac, perp. tech, 47 labs, or maybe a used alpha 9 with no warranty, or some other used player for under $1000. And I'm not to worried about the new digital standard, I have so many cds. Is the move to the 9 worth the money? what about some of the dacs I mentioned? My priorities are sweetness, transparency, involvement and great bass (lowest priority).

System:
Purest sound systems passive control or ARC LS3B (interchange)
McCormack dna 0.5
Legacy Protege's
Mit cables

Thanks!

Robert
robertd

Showing 2 responses by fineberg

I was in exactly the same position and have decided to get an external DAC. If I had the money, I probably would have gone for the EVS or a P-3 with the Dan Wright mods. However, I got a great deal on a used bel canto dac 1.1 with an Illuminati D-60. The unit should arrive today or tomorrow and I'll let you know how the combination works. Though your priorities correspond pretty well with the attributes that reviewers give the Bel Canto. The transport on the Alpha 7 is supposed to be very good (they don't modify it when you upgrade to the 9, they change only the DAC). I think the price of that internal upgrade is awfully high and with a good external DAC there is a real upgrade path left open.
Dac 1.1 just arrived and I can't believe the difference. I'm using it with an Illuminati D-60 and it definately sounds better than the Alpha 9 I tried.