ARC VT100MkII

I'd appreciate if any of the VT100MkII owners can share their thoughts about this amp.

I am considering this amplifier.
It will be run via balanced cables with the rest of my ARC components - LS-25MkI preamp and CD3MkII cd player.

Cabling is Acoustic Zen Silver RefII from CD3MkII to LS-25 and Matrix RefII from LS-25 to amp. Speaker cables are Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun.

Questions I have about the VT100MkII amp:
1) What is its sonic signature? Is it relaxed, laid back, forward?

2) How hot does this amplifier get?

3) How audible is the fan noise from about 7-8 feet away at low volume listening?

4) Will it manage to drive my B&W N803 speakers?

5)Any issues such as reliability aside from re-tubing?

I listen mostly to rock, blues, jazz and some classical. I like natural, dynamic presentation, but not harsh, analytical or forward sounding. Imaging and soundstaging is important. Good bass is a MUST.

I have listened to this amplifier before and the only think I remember is that I really liked it but it was long time ago and it was driving speakers that are easier on amplifiers than my N803s are.

Thanks very much for your thoughts!
128x128audphile1

Showing 1 response by mrwigglewm

I loved my ARC VT100Mk2. Sound was natural and warm. Would refer you to my comments in other threads as to my experience tube rolling it. Then, I liked the Svetlana power tubes; now, I would recommend using the Russian Tung-Sol 6550s. Still have the 6DJ8s if you are interested. Had good results matching the amp with both the Mirage M3s and the Talon Khorus X M2. It may be a little power shy for the N803s. May I suggest the Von Schweikert VR-4Jrs? With the proper modifications (custom spikes, 50 lbs of weight and bi-wired) they rival much more expensive speakers like the Talons. David