ARC VT100 with KT-120 tubes ?

I have seen posts about the KT-120 as a replacement for the 6550. Have any VT100 (Mk II) owners re-tubed their amps with the KT-120? What differences did you notice ? What bias setting do you use ? Is it an "improvement" ?
mabonn

Showing 1 response by gmorris

Lyric Hi Fi in Manhattan indicted recently that Audio Research had issued a bulleting listing the ARC products that are compatible with the Tung Sol KT120 tubes. I was happy to learn that the VT100 MKII was included. I ordered a matched octet and installed them about a week ago. After initial break in of about 20 hours I am starting to get the full measure of the performance enhancement of the VT100/KT120 combo.

Admittedly, replaced 4+ year old power tubes with new ones will lead to improvements across the board. However there are specific areas of improvement that are due to the KT120s.

From the outset it was clear that the dynamic range was enhanced. Not so much in terms of sheer loudness: The gradations from "p" to "pp" and "ppp" were now more clearly defined. While quiet passages seem even quieter.

There was a greater sense of control, flow and ease to the music

There was greater refinement and smoothness. Highs were more extended and clear

The sound stage was deeper and wider

Bass had more control and power.

After about 20-25 hours the sound became noticeably more powerful and robust

Last night I had a surreal experience while playing Bizet Carmen Opera (EMI) with Maria Callas. It was breathtaking. The power, majesty and sound staging were incredible. Maria and orchestra were in the room with me. The climaxes and "ffff" were without strain or stress. The VT100 MKII had never sounded this powerful and suave before.

There have been no down sides so far. Surprisingly, the amp seems to be running cooler than before (which is contrary to what I would have expected). Presumably, the amp was coasting along for the ride.

I would highly recommend these tubes to VT100 owners