ARC VT-200 Cooling Fan Noisy, nit picking?

I would be the last person to claim that I have the most sensitive hearing but in my well-damped dedicated listening room, the sound of the cooling fan in my amp is noticeable (and distracting at times). I've even set the adjustable speed to the slowest setting and I can still hear it. The amp sits on an amp stand between my speakers about 10' from my listening chair and has plenty of ventilation but anyone familiar with the VT-200 knows that it can put out some serious btu's. Would it significantly affect tube life if I disconnected the cooling fan? Anyone else try replacing the fan with one that runs more quietly? Is this an "Ask Leonard" question?
jc4659

Showing 1 response by scousepasty

I suffered the same problem of noisy fans with my ARC 120's & 150's and cured the problem by replacing the Taiwan made original fans with those made by Pabst, Germany. They are widely available in Europe.
I just bought fans covers for my ARC 610T's because I have inquisitive grandchildren and would not like them to touch the hot valves and I noticed the fans fitted are made in China but are very quiet - so far!