ARC VT-100MKII to MKIII, upgrade worth the cost?

Has anyone upgraded audio research VT-100 MK II to MK III version? What are the sonic improvements, if any?
I am facing the decision point, the amp is at the factory for service. Any feedback would be appreciated.
gvatchna

Showing 1 response by gmorris

I own the VT100 MKII. With NOS 6H23 (type 3 6922) from Upscale audio, the VT100 MKII equals the MKIII in terms of slam, basss solidity and dynamics. However the MKII is more liquid and musical. The MKIII tends to be a little "dry" sounding. The VT100 MKIII reminds me of the older Classic series (60, 120) which were also hybrids. I disagree with Leonard: In my opinion, the VT100 MKII is the better amp for music enjoyment, although the VT100 MKIII may be "technically" better

You should not replace the input tubes without proper biasing. Biasing is tedious and difficult. Without proper adjustment, the output tubes will arc and blow the 1 and 100 ohm resistors (which are essentially fuses in the plate and grid circuits). In addition, the input tubes require tight tolerances and close matching.