ARC VT-100 MK II vs. Sonic Frontiers Power 2

Have you had experience A/Bing these two amps? I have the VT-100 Mk II and like it, but it is rather user unfriendly for biasing, especially the input tubes.

The Power 2 is a 110 pd. beast, with every function for friendliness one could want. However, some people feel it is solid state-ish, not as detailed, smaller images, lacking the best bass.

Please give your experience with these pieces, especially with B&W's, or other dynamic speakers.
kevziek

Showing 2 responses by kevziek

Since posting this, I did get a Power 2. First thing I noticed is less immediacy and liveliness. Then I changed the tubes to KT88s, with a substantial change. Now, the sound is fuller and more dynamic, more immediate. It sounds part of the way toward the VT-100.

However, I still notice that high treble detail and air is less on the SF than on the VT-100. You especially hear this on cymbals, brushes, etc. The SF does sound a little fuller and more powerful, though, the VT-100 sounding 'leaner'. It's a toss up at this point, and I'll have to do further listening.

I do not find the SF "solid state" sounding, as some people say. With the KT88's, I don't find it uninvolving or bland, like others suggest. I do think, however, that the increased 'liveliness' of the VT-100 could be interpreted as increased "musicality" or "involvement" that other hear. Also, I don't find the SF bass to be inferior to the VT-100 by very much, if any.

So, does the VT-100 favor and emphasize the high frequency detail and air, or is the Sonic Frontiers lacking in these areas? Or is it just a matter of tonal perspective. I don't know. However, I think we need to keep in mind that no component reproduces sound perfectly. Every component has its sonic signature and its own way of presenting a facsimile of the musical event.
Nameci, I haven't changed the 6922's. They are original from 1/99. I have been using the Power 2 & the VT-100 single-ended. I have a good balanced cable that I'm now using between DAC & preamp, so maybe I'll switch that with the single ended I'm now using between amps & Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 preamp.

What input tubes are you using? Balanced vs. single, your experience? Thanks.