ARC VS115 Power Transformer Buzzing

My ARC VS115 power transformer will make a mechanical buzzing noise after playing for 1 hour. My ARC VS115 was manufactured in 2012 which came with the KT120 tubes. Anyone has the same problem? Please share your experience with me. Thanks.
audiodiyfan

Showing 1 response by bretonsound

I purchased a new VS115 from my local dealer in 2009. It came with 6550 tubes. In 2011 I switched out the tubes to the KT120's. I was very happy with the improved sound. In 2012, one of the transformers began buzzing. My dealer determined the transformer was going bad and ARC replaced the transformer. Recently, after 3800 hours, one of the KT120's failed along with a resistor. It was quite a pyrotechnics display. A 6 foot linear orange arc along with resistor shrapnel. I took the amp to my local dealer for service and planning on getting new KT120 tubes. He informs me that ARC is no longer recommending putting KT120's into the VS115 because they are encountering a number of long term transformer failures with the KT120's in the VS115 amps. They are now recommending going back to 6550 tubes. I still have my original 6550. The amp is currently at the shop. I'm anxious to hear what it sounds like with the 6550's reinstalled. I have grown very fond of the sound the KT120's produced for the past 5 years.