ARC-Ref210 vs ARC-Ref610T at medium levels ??

Hi, I am planning to upgrade my ARC Monos to a high-end model. I already decided to go for a new model, meaning the Ref-210 or the Ref-610T (and not the old Ref-300s or Ref-600s).

I would like to know if someone who had a chance to compare the Ref-210 and the Ref-610T amps could give me feedback about the sonic differences at medium levels.

I am aware of the other differencies between these two models (price, size, weight, power consumption, max output power, number of tubes,...).

I would like to ONLY know how they differ in terms of sonic QUALITY at MEDIUM listening levels in a medium sized listening room of about 400 sqft (and yes, you're right - in terms of max output level I do NOT need the 610T).
The other components are all high-level quality, so if there are sonic differencies I would profit from them.

I want to get a feeling if there is a significant difference in terms of quality of sound, and if there is any - is it worth the double price?

I do hear most styles of music (classic, rock, 70s-90s, only some jazz,...), so my question is not related to a special type of music.

Thanks in advance to everybody who might answer!
ozatschek

Showing 1 response by tdaudio

Ozatschek, there is a huge difference in the day to day operation in heat and expense between the 610s and the 210s and still a good sized difference between the 210s and the 110.

I assume you have thought about the amount of heat two Ref 610t amps put out and the cost of operation when they need retubing? I have Ref 210s and a Ref 110 and the 210s put out more that twice the heat of a 110 - there are more than twice the tubes. I my room is not small (17x27x10 feet) the 210s will raise the temp by 3 or 4 degrees and another 1 or 2 if I am listening at loud levels. Plus I retubed the 210s from ARC and it ran about $1,800 w/shipping. I don't know what it costs to retube the 610ts but I think it is at least $4.5K given the number of 6550 tubes needed. If I used only the 210s, I would need to retube every year and a half to two years.

As for differences in sound, I just placed the 210s back in service after using the 110 for 3-4 months and I like the 210s better on my Vandersteen 5As. For me its more about slightly different flavors than a clear winner but the 210s play louder and have more punch.

Do a search for davemitchell in the amp/pre forums. He has several great posts on ARC amps. He disclosed he was an ARC dealer and I found his comments on ARC VTM200s and Ref 210s amps that I have had to be on point. I am not in total agreement with the 210s vs 110, at least not with Vandy 5As but that could change with other speakers since the 110 is little more tubey sounding. I would email Dave if I were you.

FWIW, I recall running accross some desenting opinions on the previous Ref 600 series amps. Obviously there is more power for though loads. But I recall some wondering if there are issues getting that many output tubes to work togeather.

Good luck, Terry