ARC Ref-300 or 600 or 210: Which sounds best ?

Hi,
I currenty have an Oracle CD-Transport, a Jadis JS1 D/A converter, ARC Ref2 MkII Preamp, ARC VT150 Monos, Triangle Magellan Grand Concert and two Triangle Meteor 0.4 subwoofer.
I will upgrade the ARC Ref2 MkII preamp to a ARC Ref5.
Regarding the Monos I would like to know which one is SONICALLY best at low or medium gain levels: the old 300 or 600 or the new 210? I am well aware of the many differencies between these three models regarding age, max output level, power consumption, weight and size, number of tubes,...
In terms of price they are (as used equipment) somehow comparable (all three are in the 10-14k$ range for the pair).
But which one SOUNDS best??
I anyone has personal experience with two or three of these models in comparison I am thankful for sharing it.
Thanks a lot in advance!
ozatschek

Showing 2 responses by lostbears

Do you need the extra power of the Ref 600? That is a lot of tubes and a lot of heat. If not I would tend more toward the Ref 300 or 210 amps. I have not heard the Ref 300s in a while and never side by side with the Ref 210s. I have listened to the Ref 210s and the Ref 110 quite a bit. I own a Ref 110. If it were me I would probably choose the Ref 210s. I don't like power tubes mounted horizontally like in the Ref 300s and 600s.

All in all I chose the Ref 110 for myself because I did not really need the extra power of the 210s. The extra tubes, heat, and digital display were not worth the the slight difference in the sound to me. But both are great amps and I would say much better than your current amp. I am not a big fan of Audio Research Amps of that period. Though the VT150 is one of the better ones.

In the mid 1990's Audio Research was trying to go more mainstream. To that end they designed their gear for a lower price point. The big black boxes. I remember that the United Audio by me was carrying their equipment for a while.

I have heard the Ref 300s but it was a number of years ago. I remember thinking they were very good but I don't remember any specifics. It was at the dealer and not in my system. They were way out of my reach at that point.

More power does tend to sound better. I bi amped a pair of VT100 mk3s for a while and it was an definite improvement over just a single VT100. But I am not sure how much of a difference there would be between the Ref 300 and 600. It would also depend on how efficient your speakers are. The 210s are much newer and even with more power I am not sure the Ref 600 would be better

If it were me I would choose the Ref 210s. They truly are great sounding amps. Mated with a Ref 5 they would just sound incredible.

Nolitan, The VS115 is a very nice amp but not as good as the Ref 110. Then again the Ref 110 is not quite twice the price of the VS115. I have always liked the idea of having my amp and preamp from the same manufacture and from the same time period. They were designed by the manufacturer to work well together. From a manufacturer such as Audio Research, it can give your system a wonderful synergy.