ARC Ref 3 - thoughts?

Hi all, 

I have an ARC ref 3 that I've been really happy with, after switching all the valves it has improved a lot. What's the view on the newer ref series, are these much better? Could you describe the sound improvement?

Thanks, Tim
tim_field
the 5se offered better leading edge, bass articulation and depth. 
if you dont want to spend the $, buy upgraded fuse & power cord. and footers. ---there's lots of improvement just there (and portable to the 5se at a later date)
I would add an HRS base before moving to a REF5se
but that is indeed a lovely preamp, my current reference...The Tung Sol in the regulation side makes a massive difference.

have fun, enjoy the music!!!!!
Hi Tim,

I have done the Ref 3 upgrade circuit.  Namely, the Ref 5, Ref 5 SE and now the Ref 6. IMO, there was an incremental and noticeable improvement from the Ref 3 to the Ref 5SE and then again to the Ref 6.  

I recall seeing a few Ref 3s listed on A'gon for the high $3ks to maybe $4K range.  The list prices for the Ref 5SE are all over the place, but assume something in the high $5Ks or low $6Ks.  So, moving up to the Ref 5SE could cost some change.  

That said, I recall that my Ref 3 was a real sweet sounding pre.  If you are happy with your Ref 3, especially after the retube, why not stay put and just enjoy it?

BIF