ARC CD 3 mk II upgrade with DAC 8

My current gear is all ARC which includes a REF 3, CD 3 MK II and REF 75. In the continuation of ongoing improvements, I consider my digital source as the next component for upgrade. I have been considering the CD 6 or a used CD 7. Recently a friend purchased a CD 9 and has offered me his DAC 8 at a very reasonable price. Using my existing CD 3 as a transport in conjunction with the DAC 8 is an option. Any recommendations or thoughts on this would be appreciated. thanks
supermodified

Showing 1 response by ct0517

Supermodified - Congrats on the DAC8. I think you got a fantastic deal on it.

I acquired a DAC8 to use with my existing transport and also to allow for Computer Audio / Hi Rez files. In the end I made the decision to go for the approach that didn't make changes to the actual files/cd's we purchase and plays them in their native format.

A key part for me is explained in the DAC8 manual re: Audio Device Software Drivers:

"The DAC8’s USB driver software provides your computer with special high speed audio drivers not supplied by MS Windows or Mac OS. The ARC USB drivers are specially designed to assure low jitter BIT PERFECT data transfer between the server/computer and the DAC8 at all sample rates. Our drivers setup the USB interface to guarantee bandwidth, independent of active bulk transfers from the hard drive."

Also a very good read document IMO on the engineering behind the

DAC8

From a pure DAC performance perspective from ARC.

The ARC DAC8 is identical to the current ARC REF DAC except for a tube output stage.

Hello Chris,

The DAC8 uses the same digital chips that are used in the Reference DAC. The REF DAC has a vacuum tube audio output instead of a solid state design.

Please see attached file for more information.

Best Regards,

Kalvin Dahl

Customer Support Manager

Am very happy I brought this DAC in. Hope you enjoy it as much as I have. Happy listening.

Chris