ARC 100.2 VS AYRE V5Xe with Thiel 2.2s

Calling all Audiogoner's
I have been narrowing my search space for suitable amps, to drive my 2.2s. I have been through a bunch of amps lately, in an attempt to characterize them as well as find a long term keeper. I wrote, in another post, about my current amp, an Aragon 8002, and how mediocre my system sounded with that...until I replaced the TLC-1 with an ARC LS-15 (retubed with EH-Platinums 6922). The sound is totally different now. Enjoyable really, but it is not quite where I know it can be, esp in the high frequency/ air category. The bass is awesome with the Aragon, and I have no desire to improve on it in that category ( I did not know the 2.2s could sound so deep and powerful ).
There is a characteristic warmth to the overall sound that I know is mostly attributed to the Aragon. On some recordings its welcome, on others I sense it too much and wich for greater transparency.
Anyway, I am looking for specific experience here, with the ARC 100.2 and/or Ayre V5 to be the next amp. I have read that folks used the 100.2 to drive the 3.6s (much tougher to drive); that is encouraging. It is a rare moment when I am home alone to crank it, so my listening is moderate on avg. I think 200-ish hi-quality watts into 4 ohms is plenty for me.
Thanks for your time!
128x128dpac996

Showing 2 responses by belasariuse480

Here's the link for the Kandy:

http://www.roksan.co.uk/kan_amplifier.html

I see that they're now claiming 180 watts into 4 ohms- they used to claim 220, so they much have adopted more conservative standards. This is a very good amp, but not adequate for the Thiel 2.2's. The Parasound at 400 watts with 60 amps of current does a much better job. The Thiel's are a difficult load, but are very rewarding when given what they need.

I spent several months auditioning possible replacements listening to speakers up to the Wilson Maxx and did not find anything I liked any better than the 2.2's.
I bought a Parasound Halo P3/A21 combo to try with my 2.2's. I figured it was worth a try at half to a third the price that I'd otherwise pay and I got them with a 30 day return.

They're keepers, at least for me. When I put on a well recorded CD and close my eyes the speakers and room disappear. Acoustic instruments sound exactly like themselves, the soundstage is precise and extends beyond the speakers. Bass sounds like I've got a sub in the system. When I play my Taiko drum CD's, not only do I get the big drum 'slam', but I can hear the distinct individual sound of the different drums.

I'd previously been driving them with a Roksan Kandy at 200 amps into the 4 ohms. It wasn't enough. Even at the moderate listening levels that I like, you need a lot of power and current to bring these puppies to heel.