ARC 100.2 Enough power for Proac 3.8

I am looking for a power amp with plenty of grunt to drive a pair of Proac 3.8's.
Currently they are being driven with an Ayre V-5x which has been kindly lent to me by a friend. It sounds gorgeous by the way, but could use a bit more "slam" in the bottom end. It's damn close to perfect though.
The catch is that I can't afford one of those beasts and have read good things about the 100.2 from ARC. Could this be the beast I am looking for or do I need more power. The Ayre is 150watts and the ARC is 100watts but apparently belies it's output rating. A VT100mkII is also tempting but I'm not so sure about the tube approach.
Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
alun

Showing 1 response by jb0194

If you already have great synergy with the Ayre you may consider getting a PAIR of quality subs and "dialing in" the low end according to your preference.
I have stereo DIY subs using Adire Tumult drivers which gave me the bottom I was after.
Kevin Haskins of www.diycable.com is offering Tumult subs in a VERY small volume sealed cabinet (higher Q, but not the monsters I have). The drivers are pricey at about $450 each, but are incredibly powerful and accurate.

I have no connection whatsoever with Adire or DIY cable. I'd just hate to see you break up a nice marriage of amp and speakers, such a crucial element in good sound.