Aragon 2004

Hey guys. Considering purchasing Aragon 2004 for $250. I don't think this is an MKII model. 100 watts at 8ohm and double at 4. My speakers are rated at 90 DB sensitivity. Is this still a good amp/deal or is there anything better at similar prices. Using BK reference 30 as preamp. 
cygnusx8
The price is right to audition or flip.
Other than that no experience.
Except for hearing BB King & Chuck Berry on a double bill there.

I had a brochure for an Aragon amp back in the day. Is this one of the ones with the "V" cutout in the top? Those amps looked pretty awesome.

I guess being as old as it is, you should check it out to make sure both channels are fully operational and that transformer hum hasn't gotten out of hand. In my town we do not have a hifi repair that can install new parts but I would think if you had local access to a person like this - this amp could represent a good value at this price.

V shape. That's the one. Guy has 2 for sale so I'll see which one is in better condition and listen to them both. My current parasound zamp is not cutting it for von Schweikert bookshelf speakers. It's only 45 watts @ 8 ohm. 
At one time years ago, I had an Aragon 3002 amp, which was 300 Wpc into 8 ohms. It was a very good sounding amplifier.
A well built reliable amp with lots of current for $250.00?  Get it.  As mentioned, if you audition and don't like and it is fully functional and cosmetically acceptable, then flip it for same $$$ or a bit more.  I have enjoyed the lesser of the Mondial amps, Acurus, for over 12 years and they have been bullet proof reliable and and solid performers.

Bill
Done. Picking it to next Saturday. Even with covid-19. Wearing a mask and gloves :)
If it’s clean, you did great on the price. Worked at a shop many, many years ago and I really liked the bigger 4004: that amp had a lot of balls and could really grip a speaker. We didn’t sell as many 2004’s or keep one on the floor much so I wasn’t as familiar with it but I’m sure for $250, it’ll be well worth it and compete with anything you’ll find used for that price. Put a descent power cord on it and I think you’ll be pleased. If you can find a used a Kimber PK10 Gold that would be a nice neutral PC. From memory the Aragon’s were a little forward and lively so just be careful with cable matching.
Wasn't the 4004 a Dan D'agostino design?
Pretty sure Dan designed the 2004 also.

Bill
The Aragon amp you are looking at was built in Connecticut by the company that was building Mark Levinson at the time. It is an excellent amp and a steal at that price. I would buy both and make monoblocks out of them.
The Aragon amp you are looking at was built in Connecticut by the company that was building Mark Levinson at the time.
I think you are talking about Proceed made by Madrigal in Middletown, CT.  Madrigal was the parent company of Levinson and Proceed.

Bill
If I recall correctly, that "V" in the case was symbolic of the notch filter employed in that design.  Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.
Correct on Aragon was not built or had anything to do with Proceed or Mark Levinson as noted above. Aragon’s sister or entry brand was Acurus. Pretty sure you can not bridge or biamp two 2004’s but you can probably check with Indy Audio Labs but I think they’ll tell you the same; it can probably be done with some work under the hood. Unless you need more power I don’t see why you would bother as I believe these are dual mono amps in one box sharing a power chord.

Now if you can buy both amps at $250 each and they’re in fair shape I’d recommend that as well. I definitely remember Dan D’agostino was involved in the 4004 but I don’t recall he was involved with the 2004 or the 8008, but maybe. I believe both Dan and Robbii Wessen worked on the design of the 4004 and likely 2004... betting Mr. D’Agostino was not still working with Mondial when the 8008 later rolled out, but again maybe. Either way, all these were fine amps and in my opinion at the time for the money only McCormack had the edge.

The McCormacks are definitely better amps but I don’t think you’ll pick one up for $250. You’re getting a really good amp still, and a steal at that price.
The Aragon amp you are looking at was built in Connecticut by the company that was building Mark Levinson at the time. It is an excellent amp and a steal at that price. I would buy both and make monoblocks out of them.

+1

+1
Having owned a 2004 Mk2 for about a dozen years, I can tell you this is absolutely not true. Levinson and Proceed were made by Madrigal in Connecticut. Aragon and Acurus were built by Mondial Designs out of New York. @ADG101 had it mostly right. The 2004 and 4004 were built during the same time period. It is claimed that Dan D'agostino had a hand in the design of those amps. The 8000 series came later, and to my knowledge he was not involved in those amps. The 2004 is in fact a dual mono design and cannot be bridged. Aragon made what was essentially a bridged version of the 4004 with enough improvement in the power supply to make it able to drive about anything. That amp was the Palladium. If you can get your hands on both of the 2004s and vertically biamp with them, you will have all the power you are likely to ever need. Just for the hell of it, I took my 2004 to my brothers house and hooked them up to his Magnepan Tympany speakers and it did a very good job driving them. At $250 it is a no brainer.
I stand corrected on my original statement.  It was Mondial from Connecticut, not the same company that made Mark Levinson.  My bad.  I  had a home trial from Ocean State Audio in R.I. way back in the 90's of a Aragon 4004 amp.  I used it with my Audible Illusions Modulus 3 (original) preamp and Vandersteen 2ci speakers.  I was also auditioning a McCormack DNA1 amp at the same time.  I kept the Mc Cormack and returned the Aragon 4004.  The Vandersteens just sounded so much better with the DNA1 behind it.  The Aragon was built as well as the McCormack amp. 

I felt bad when I returned The Aragon because I was 90% sure I was going to buy it when I took it home for the weekend.  I was kind of embarrassed when I returned it as the store owner was quite positive I was going buy it.  
Just to follow up...  I did buy that amp and it is great! Easily powers my speakers with a ton of power reserve. Thanks for all your advice, guys! 
Wanted to add a pic but don't see a way of doing it here. Can we not post pics?
Wanted to add a pic but don’t see a way of doing it here. Can we not post pics?
Go to Virtual Systems page, select ’Create System’, you can upload pictures to your system...

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/1986#&gid=1&pid=1