Aragon 2004

Hey guys. Considering purchasing Aragon 2004 for $250. I don't think this is an MKII model. 100 watts at 8ohm and double at 4. My speakers are rated at 90 DB sensitivity. Is this still a good amp/deal or is there anything better at similar prices. Using BK reference 30 as preamp. 
cygnusx8

Showing 1 response by csmgolf

The Aragon amp you are looking at was built in Connecticut by the company that was building Mark Levinson at the time. It is an excellent amp and a steal at that price. I would buy both and make monoblocks out of them.

+1
Having owned a 2004 Mk2 for about a dozen years, I can tell you this is absolutely not true. Levinson and Proceed were made by Madrigal in Connecticut. Aragon and Acurus were built by Mondial Designs out of New York. @ADG101 had it mostly right. The 2004 and 4004 were built during the same time period. It is claimed that Dan D'agostino had a hand in the design of those amps. The 8000 series came later, and to my knowledge he was not involved in those amps. The 2004 is in fact a dual mono design and cannot be bridged. Aragon made what was essentially a bridged version of the 4004 with enough improvement in the power supply to make it able to drive about anything. That amp was the Palladium. If you can get your hands on both of the 2004s and vertically biamp with them, you will have all the power you are likely to ever need. Just for the hell of it, I took my 2004 to my brothers house and hooked them up to his Magnepan Tympany speakers and it did a very good job driving them. At $250 it is a no brainer.